$1.00 Hydroboost On Ebay...

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For all of y'all running hydroboost - the brakes do indeed take priority in the system, when there's insufficient line pressure coming off the pump the steering power assist will be reduced. It's a known issue in the Chevy world, sometimes as bad as to lose darn near all power steering if you try cranking the wheel fast at the same time as stepping on the brakes hard (as you sometimes have to do to avoid a parking lot accident). Two ways around that - smaller PS pump pulley, and/or a pressure check-valve modification. The valve thing is available for Saginaw pumps, and apparently now there are brackets available for mounting a Saginaw pump to a small-block ford gas engine - if the brackets for the 302/351W are the same as those for our diesels, this conversion bracket can be used.
I have driven hydro'd Fords since '94 and has yet to come across a situation where the pump has run out of pressure to power both the hydro and the gear. Same goes with chevy. But I have also put in the biggest saginaw pump I could find on a hydro'd chevy too. There is a bracket setup for the saginaw on the ford too. They are most common in the van chassis, but can be adapted to the pickup.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat, it's a fairly uncommon situation as far as regular driving goes, but under the just right conditions you can run a stock GM setup low on pressure - it takes me a few tries to make it happen, and it don't always happen either, but the problem does exist, and from what I've been told by some older GM engineers they were aware of it however it never got fixed cause of financial reasons - basically the logic behind the whole thing was that under normal driving you ain't never gonna floor the brakes and crank the wheel like a maniac at the same time, as tis likely you gonna flip the truck over, the only time a normal driver would take these actions would be a panic stop during low-speed maneuvering, in which case the brakes will stop the truck dead in its tracks before the spindles of the front wheels even hit the full lock position. Or something like that... Dunno about Fords, never drove a hydroboosted one so I have no experience with them, so I take your word for it.