05 6.0 smoke black at idle

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got it all together and it runs great but smoking white might have another injector that **** the bed but all buzz test fine

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So got a full set of motocraft injectors comeing they will be here Monday goin to replace all 8 injectors and do a compression test make sure all cylinders are in good shape I they are toast he just picked up 2 donor trucks and one is a 350 that's been fully deleted an bullet proofed and odometer reads 99k not to sure what I think about a 6.0 motor swap can I be done with the cab on

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's good to know iv never pulled a cab on a 6.0 and it seems kinda pain staking lol but might make life a bit easier

Overmod

Reaction score
I had a 2003 very early 6.0L that broke the tip off #8 after giving light black/brown overfuel smoke for a couple of days.

This can be a combination of 'running the injectors dry' (with low or no fuel) followed by excessive volatile or water content in the fuel, which expands and cracks the tip. If the engine is warm, the excess passed fuel will volatilize nicely due to the cylinder compression and produce the grandmother of all white smoke screens: you will NOT want to be near any ignition source if this happens!

By the time I could get a borescope into Numero Ocho I could see no visible trace of a broken tip, the mechanics' consensus being that it had gone out through the valves and turbo without jamming. If you see that a piece is 'gone', though, check carefully in the combustion space (including in any gap between the crown and the top ring) and I recommend that you look for scoring with #8 at BDC and all the fuel out.

I think you are wise to have all 8 done at once, with a quality 'remanufacture' that carefully drills the nozzle tips accurately. Be sure that whoever does the work understands what the DLC was for and has provided equivalent 'protection'.

Be aware that significant fuel went into the oil system. I would flush it carefully with ordinary oil, perhaps a couple of times, either with a cellosolve solvent or something with affinity to light fractions, to make sure that any fuel is out of the oil film areas.

Incidentally the 'hack' to get the engine out without a cab lift was carefully documented as a service procedure (it involved, at one point, something iike 17 wobble extensions in series to curve around the bottom of things to reach ta couple of the bottom mount bolts) and is a bit similar to the Audi 'hinge' approach to get the whole front exposed. Be prepared, though, for a lot of removing and then a lot of replacing. I wish I had a copy of the instructions where I could post or PM it.

Last edited:

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Overmod thanks and I'm the one doing all the work but good news I ran it today with the scanner all checked out good the owner decided to hold off on the injectors but after a good run the smoke cleared up I took it for a 50 mile run and the smoke cleared I don't know if it just needed to heat up or what

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you ever check fuel pressure?

Also, as posted above, water in the fuel can cause it also. Did you drain any fuel to check for water?

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did check fuel pressure KOEO it sits at just about 60 psi and Ididn't check for water in the fuel I think I'll take a sample this morning

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
60 psig is fine if it can hold it there at WOT. When my fuel pump started going out, it would sit at 63 or so at idle, but drop to about 50 at heavy acceleration. Injectors need 50 + psig pressure at ALL times.

Overmod

Reaction score
Don't sample for water in the tank; check for water in the FICM. International and Ford understood the concerns with water in the injector tips and built what is supposed to be extremely good water separation into the FICM (under the cab) -- this is part of why it's so big.

Note the sticky about some aftermarket fuel filters not having a water membrane -- THIS is part of why that membrane is important.

Whenever an engine is run with overfuel in a 'dead' cylinder, there will be buildup of fuel,sometimes to the extent it quenches some of the combustion in a DI cylinder until enough heat builds up to vaporize what is in there. A considerable amount can 'live' in there even if the engine does not hydrolock on the fuel volume; this is likely what you were observing. As the engine cycles and heats air, the residual will volatilize, and this can produce a truly surprising amount of white smoke.

I had a problem with one of those diesel Lincolns with a 524TD BMW motor -- had a battery-charge problem resulting in continued attempts at start which turned out to 'flood' the cylinders. Had it towed in and the problem fixed -- on the subsequent start both exhausts blew enormous smoke which filled the shop in a matter of moments! This level of smoke continued, as I recall, for several minutes at starting fast idle; I was actually beginning to wonder if I had engine damage (it had just been rebuilt) but it did resolve.

BE SURE you change the oil as recommended, or have a service like Blackstone carefully test it.

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't sample for water in the tank; check for water in the FICM. International and Ford understood the concerns with water in the injector tips and built what is supposed to be extremely good water separation into the FICM (under the cab) -- this is part of why it's so big.

Note the sticky about some aftermarket fuel filters not having a water membrane -- THIS is part of why that membrane is important.

Whenever an engine is run with overfuel in a 'dead' cylinder, there will be buildup of fuel,sometimes to the extent it quenches some of the combustion in a DI cylinder until enough heat builds up to vaporize what is in there. A considerable amount can 'live' in there even if the engine does not hydrolock on the fuel volume; this is likely what you were observing. As the engine cycles and heats air, the residual will volatilize, and this can produce a truly surprising amount of white smoke.

I had a problem with one of those diesel Lincolns with a 524TD BMW motor -- had a battery-charge problem resulting in continued attempts at start which turned out to 'flood' the cylinders. Had it towed in and the problem fixed -- on the subsequent start both exhausts blew enormous smoke which filled the shop in a matter of moments! This level of smoke continued, as I recall, for several minutes at starting fast idle; I was actually beginning to wonder if I had engine damage (it had just been rebuilt) but it did resolve.

BE SURE you change the oil as recommended, or have a service like Blackstone carefully test it.

I think you meant HFCM (primary fuel filter), not FICM!

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score

Thar's not the FICM.....

FICM - Fuel Injection Control Module

You are talking about the

HFCM - Horizontal Fuel Conditioning Module........

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys and at first I was curious about the ficm I did change the filters this morning with Moto craft filters and he needed the truck like right now so it gets a new batch o 5w40 this after noon after a slight work out of hauling logs