05 6.0 smoke black at idle

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys buddy just called me and said his 05 started smoking white and then at idle would puff a little black I Avent had a chance to scan it but I'm guessing injector hung open ish I'm goin to pick the truck up Sunday night but has anyone ever had this happen and if so what was the cause

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it's been deleted I know the truck but haven't really spent much time working on it just welding on it

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So o went and govit read codes and had a #8 contribution code and a #8 injector code I'll get the exact codes in the morning but it was running when he parked it and now it is locked up tryed to start to load it and it turned half a turn and locked up

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally got around to reading codes and got a p0284 cylinder 8 contribution/balance and a p2291 icp to low engine cranking

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My notes on P2291:

P2291 (cranking code) on a 2003 or early 04 6.0L is most likely caused by, in order of likelihood:
1- Disconnected sensor, or failing, cracked and leaking ICP sensor and oil damaged wiring at the sensor
2- A weak or failing High Pressure Oil Pump
3- IPR valve
This is a "cranking" operation code. P 2290 is a similar code, but is more of a "running" code.
The codes can be from an actual mechanical failure or even faulty programming.

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well soon close inspection I only had 1 hr on this truck today I'll get it open tomorrow I did notice at the end of day that there was oil in and around the exhaust also it's locked up tight as hell I wonder if a injector oring decided to STB and leaked oil into the combustion chamber regardless the #8injector is comeing out and a bore scope is going in

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So dug in last night and found that #8 injector is stuck wide open I pulled all the glow plugs and cranked over by hand and a bunch of fuel came out then I turned it over withhe ficm off the truck and it continued to pour fuel even without the ficm so I tore it down today I'm going to pull #8 and replace it with a rebuilt from Delphi

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
I would stick with motorcraft, a big name aftermarket (warren, bpd, industrial, etc), or at least alliant.
Part store ones are junk.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tryed bit thease are the ones my boss wanted me to use here is the failur
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Oledirtypearl86

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@79jasper whys that what would cause the tip to break off like that also I tryed to make sure nothing was in the cylinder but my bore scope is to big and couldn't see anything

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online