ZF5 swap cost ballpark...

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, let me clarify. As it says in my sig, I have an auto but really REALLY want to swap in a 5spd. I've read quite a bit about this and it seems the best way to go about it is to get a complete truck, and not to try to part the whole thing out at JY's. Either way it seems to be all of 1000 dollars or more to do.
So I'm looking on CL yesterday and what do I find??

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/eat/cto/5427052106.html

He's asking 2 grand now, I'm figuring I can get what I need, plus some new front seats out of this truck and sell the rest to come out pretty cheap on the swap. Am I wrong?

If I can pitch it to the wife as a real bargain, she might be into it..maybe.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A buddy of mine pieced his together... got the trans as a package deal when he bought the dana60 for the front of his 250...

Odds and ends (clutch, pedal assembly, hydraulics, etc..) ~500

Rebuild driveshafts to proper lengths.. 250 or so...

Depending on transmission price, you could easily have 1500 in the swap if not more. Something also to keep in mind with a complete truck is you will still most likely need a new clutch and may have to change driveshaft lengths anyways unless it is identical to yours (such as bed length, cab size, etc..)

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kicking myself because i missed a chance to get a rolling chassis with everything I needed for 600...and now that I have the cash it's gone.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that rig for 1k is an awesome deal.
however, i wouldnt part that truck out.
KEEP THESE DIESELS ALIVE!
the only time i strip a diesel is if there is no paperwork.

buy it, pull drivetrain and make it an auto with the spare parts you will have.

fix headgasket and sell it for 2k.
you get all your parts you dont want gone, plus you make a grand on the swap!

if you want to piece parts out, all you really need is a ZF, pedals, a new master and slave (which i buy new for 100$)
a trans tunnel, and a clutch.
your existing transfer and driveshafts should work.

pull the auto handle out and be done with it.

Pitch the truck as a 1000$ gain, not a 1000$ for parts.
to really get the pot stirring, wait for her to drive the truck, use a pair of vice grips to clamp off the external cooler.
the truck wont go, and you can blame her for blowing the transmission, shell feel bad and you can get the parts with an evil grin :D

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
she'd be into it as a flip for profit, if only I had a more positive track record of actually MAKING money on the things I buy, or buying them with ZERO intention of them leaving but telling her that it'll make us money...She'd also figure out the vise-grips...and then i'd be road-kill.
You laid out my plan exactly. get what I want and sell an running (maybe) 1987 250 w/auto to cover my costs.
I'm gonna keep an eye on it. I would need my truck working in order to go and get that one anyway....and it might be another weekend before i'm no longer drive-way bound.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a spare pedal assembly if ya go that route.

ISPKI

Welding/metallurgical engineer/Metalsmith
Reaction score
I am looking to do the same swap. It seems to depend entirely on how you get the parts. I landed a zf5 bolted to a running 460 with 70k on them for 600$ and sold the motor for 400$. Pedal assembly was pulled from a junk yard for 20$. Buying a busted truck and ripping it apart seems to be the best bang for your buck, you have to put alot of sweat into it.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a several inch difference in the length of the transmissions. The ZF is I THINK close to 5 inches shorter. Original driveshafts that were mated to the e40d will be a no-go. They will have to be re-tubed. Sure you may be able to install the driveshaft as the slip has a good bit of length.. however the first dip in the road and the driveshaft will uninstall itself in a noisy manner.

If the original trans in the truck was a C6... different story.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am looking to do the same swap. It seems to depend entirely on how you get the parts. I landed a zf5 bolted to a running 460 with 70k on them for 600$ and sold the motor for 400$. Pedal assembly was pulled from a junk yard for 20$. Buying a busted truck and ripping it apart seems to be the best bang for your buck, you have to put alot of sweat into it.

Yeah, i've been looking for a real good deal..and the right combination of truck running and money on hand before it gets spent somewhere else. Either way you go about it, it seems to be a project that would keep the truck down for a month (my pacing more than difficulty I think..) so I've gotta try and be real smart about this.
I actually got the wife interested in buying another truck and flipping it....just not "Let's go rent a trailer honey!!" excited yet.....

Driveshafts are in the 200 dollar range to be cut and sized yeah? depends on shop?

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We pulled off this swap in a weekend and that included redrilling the bellhousing. (Trans was from a 460 truck).

Pull the trans and pedals on Friday night.... Start installing all the new pedals, clutch/flywheel, cleanup Saturday... Trans installed Sunday.

It's pretty straight forward. Just keep in mind if you don't get the zf harness, you'll need to tie up your park/neutral switch but keep it in the truck otherwise it won't start.

I think there is a bypass mod but we didn't mess with it.

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my biggest stumbling block is that i'm doing everything by myself. I mess myself up all the time. Obviously I have this site so I'm not ALL alone, but i'm Noob enough for two...

bigbird189

Reaction score
There is a several inch difference in the length of the transmissions. The ZF is I THINK close to 5 inches shorter. Original driveshafts that were mated to the e40d will be a no-go. They will have to be re-tubed. Sure you may be able to install the driveshaft as the slip has a good bit of length.. however the first dip in the road and the driveshaft will uninstall itself in a noisy manner.

If the original trans in the truck was a C6... different story.

I am thinking about doing this and my 86 f350 CCLB has the C6, would it be more difficult or easier?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sell all parts inclusive of tilt column for conversion for 1375 as individual parts...1100 as a kit.

Bottom line get a complete truck is best.

The work is not overly difficult and I did it myself except for a friend to help align it up.

Everything else was all Al.

Tqke your time ...i took seven days but am slow and methodical working only few hours before too tired to go on.

Technically its a weekend swap...IF ALL ZF PARTS SITTING ON GROUND! Remember it will take a few days to pull all parts too LOL

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Morganzo,

IF you'll give me a little time (and you're NOT impatient), I'll find you a running or wrecked truck with ZF for CHEAP, especially if you don't need a title.
(There seems to be a lot of the old IDI Fords around South TX, sitting out in the weeds = That's where I found my "new to me" 1986 XLT..)

About 90 days ago, I saw such a 1991 F-250 sitting out in a farm pasture near Castroville for 300.oo with 170K.

yours, satx

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online