ZF5 Speed pops out of reverse

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I have done a little reasearch on this could be the clutch bushing, or syncros, or a rebuild kit.

Anyone ran into this? What was your fix,..?

Trying to help out Tanya.

Thanks!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know Peppermint was having some serious clutch issues last summer. I fear they may have shreaded something a bit much. The syncronizers are most likely to blame. Not much that can be done other than pulling it and getting it rebuilt. Maybe we can find them another ZF for a loaner or swap? Does her new job keep her from posting?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I Maybe we can find them another ZF for a loaner or swap? Does her new job keep her from posting?

I think Darrin has one headed that way.
Kinda sounds like Peppermint may have pulled one horse too many.

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
You need a reverse syncro and hub and ring. There are little ball dentents that hold it in gear under the hub ring that engage the hub. Actually very easy to fix done a ton of them.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You need a reverse syncro and hub and ring. There are little ball dentents that hold it in gear under the hub ring that engage the hub. Actually very easy to fix done a ton of them.

So what's the trick to putting a syncro together.... 6 hands:confused: and a couple hail Mary's:hail :angel:

I had to do one by accident when replacing the bearings in a ZF and it sure got old chasing the springs and detent balls around the shop.... At least the heavy grease let them stick where they landed without bouncing around.LOL

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
6 hands would be the best way but I put a little grease on them just kind of **** it to one side to grab one of the balls and kind of hold it there and use the other hand to just hold the other 2 a cross your toes because you are out of fingers.LOL Or ask for help. I always order extra detent springs and balls because they WILL fly away.:mad:

GaPchNCrm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New clutch and flywheel have been installed...... The story I have is that you can hold it in reverse but if you let it go it pops out, and grinds going into reverse.... all forward gears work fine. Darrin is being a gem trying to help me out with this, so no point in asking twice :) Thanks Darrin!

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
I shure dropped the ball on this thread,..where was I at,..?

Anyway, sorry for my non responses. the trans in question is one that I sold to Tanya to replace the one in Pepperment. It was supposed to be a good tranny according to where I got it from,..Well Tany got it installed and the reverse problem showed up. Now we are trying to get it fixed for her.

As of today it sounds like the shop will be able to take care of it for her, so that is what we are shooting for.

Thanks for all of the input and well post what happens.