ZF5 LEAK FROM TOP

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We’ll you’ve helped me discover something interesting. I have two ZF5s in my garage, and I looked all over them and couldn’t find a vent. Then I did some internet digging and it turns out the zf5 vent is in the stub boot! It’s a little half-moon cutout, I took a picture below:
You must be registered for see images attach

The problem is that the new aftermarket stub bolts don’t have the vent. I looked between all the folds of the one I just installed and couldn’t find it. That means I need to add a vent somehow. I sure wish I would have learned this when I had it all open and apart! I could have easily drilled and tapped the case to add a vent. Maybe I’ll just make a little cutout in the boot like what came stock on the truck.
THAT SIR!, is a useful tidbit of information! That's one small step for Oil Burners, and a giant leap for ZF5 owners. Thanks for sharing!

ROCK HARVEY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
Yup it looks like the s5-47s have a vent on top. I think I’m going to take that little shifter housing back off, and figure out the best place to drill it so I can add a hose and vent like what’s on the transfer case.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to look at mine tomorrow as well, just to know. What's the difference of the two zf5s? My 87 has the original one, but the one in my CC 86 dually is out of a more modern truck. It doesn't have a speedometer hole, so I know it's from a computer truck. It's a long story, but I literally found the thing in a guys carport while I was out delivering for FedEx, I knew what it was, he didn't and wanted it gone, so into the truck it went and home she came!