ZF to T19 swap?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I did my t-19 swap, I used a 460 trans, and there was not enough room to mod the gas bell to fit the diesel.

The low gear is awsome, I dont know *** they were thinking with that stupid 4:1 first.
THe gear splits actually work out pretty good (better than the diesel version imo) and the only time I notice the gap between 3 and 4 is if I try to down shift on a big hill to early.

The next t-19 diesel truck I have I will search for the low gear t19 and replace that stupid 4:1 first gear trans.
Try find a NP435 then...or T18...just saying

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to swap a T19 you will likely need new driveshafts as the transmission is SHORTER...thus shorter front shaft and longer rear. Also may need another cross member.
FWIW when my T-19 came out, the first thing I did was set it next to the ZF that I was about to install, on a work bench. With both transmissions sitting vertically, with the bell housing to engine mating surface down on the bench, I measured them both. It turned out that, in my case, they were identical in length....from the bellhousing mating surface to the transfer case mating surface (including the tail piece on the T-19), they were both exactly 26 3/4" long. A pleasant surprise for me; I was expecting to need to resize driveshafts, but that ended up not being necessary...I ended up not needing to modify the driveshafts at all ;Sweet It's worth noting that I kept the original 13-45 transfer case; there may be a difference in length between the 13-45 and the 13-56.

This was on a 4x4 application; it may be a different story with a 2 wheel drive, and for all I know, Ford might have used more than one length of transmission even in a 4x4 application, but my 4x4 ZF and my T-19 were exactly the same length.

Regarding crrossmembers, I've heard that it's possible to use the same crossmember on both, but I didn't try...I got a crossmember from a yard where they pull the parts for you, and ended up with one from an E4DOA equipped truck, but it worked :angel:

The low gear is awsome, I dont know *** they were thinking with that stupid 4:1 first.
THe gear splits actually work out pretty good (better than the diesel version imo) and the only time I notice the gap between 3 and 4 is if I try to down shift on a big hill to early.
YMMV, but I found that 3rd-4th split on the T-19 to be maddening! With 4.10's, I'd have the engine pretty well wound up in 3rd by 35 mph or so, and upshifting to 4th brought the RPM's too low. Almost as much as gaining that 5th gear for the highway, getting the closer split between 3rd and 4th was a great benefit from swapping to the ZF...