ZF to T19 swap?

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
I just bought a cheap lifted and turbo charged '89 F250 (wD60). I was going to part it out, but it is kind of a fun toy. Turns out the rear of the ZF case is cracked, and it steadily drips ATF.
Not sure if I want to try and have it welded it or not. The truck has a newer clutch and SM flywheel. I have a 4WD T19 out of a 460 parts truck. If I can come up with a bell housing, will I have everything to make the T19 work?
This truck will never see the highway, so no need for the OD gear. It would be nice to keep the low 1st gear, but I don't really want to put anymore money in the toy.

lindstromjd

Black Sheep
Reaction score
Pretty sure the ZF and T-19 have different flywheels and clutches all-together. And driveshaft lengths are different. Hydraulics are the same.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Driveshafts are most likely the same length. However, as was mentioned, you will need a new flywheel, and clutch set up. If your T-19 is off a 460, you will need a diesel bell housing also. In my opinion, you are better off just getting the ZF welded. Your T-19 is also not the right one. The Diesel takes a T-19B, with a different gear spread than what you have.

S-west

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can see the crack I would weld it. Even if you have to pay somebody to do it. If it a small crack that isn't opened to wide all you have to do is drill holes at each end of the crack, then clean the surface of the crack real good fill in the holes with weld and cover the crack. If you do most of the work like removing the transmission then bring it somwhere I can't see it costing that much to fix. Personally I would charge around 100 if it where brought to me. Then again I don't have a shop so a shop might charge more.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
The crack is the hairline type, and it has not opened up yet. It just wicks all the fluid out of the trans. I'm going to pull it out and bring it to work and see if one of the guys here can weld it up. Worth a shot, since I will have to pull the trans either way.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
I just bought a cheap lifted and turbo charged '89 F250 (wD60). I was going to part it out, but it is kind of a fun toy. Turns out the rear of the ZF case is cracked, and it steadily drips ATF.
Not sure if I want to try and have it welded it or not. The truck has a newer clutch and SM flywheel. I have a 4WD T19 out of a 460 parts truck. If I can come up with a bell housing, will I have everything to make the T19 work?
This truck will never see the highway, so no need for the OD gear. It would be nice to keep the low 1st gear, but I don't really want to put anymore money in the toy.

If you want a diesel T19, i'll trade you, but I dont have the bellhousing you'll need, and dont need yours

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
If you want a diesel T19, i'll trade you, but I dont have the bellhousing you'll need, and dont need yours
No thanks, if I swap a T19 in it would be the one I have. Probably won't do it because the bellhousings are scarce.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
when my brother in law blew his Z-F we he was looking at the complete diesel T-19 i had in my garage. measureing it out it looked like the T-19 was just an inch shorter than his Z-F. the drive shafts "should" be able to eat up that differance. the big part was the clutch, it would have to be completely swapped out to an older style. we ended up lucking out and getting another Z-F from a parts truck so we never moved forward with it.

Vegas-Misfit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Iowa... i have a 4wd 1986 parts truck... it just so happens i have a t19b and a diesel bell housing... pm me if interested

swervyjoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The t19 will have a lower 1st than your zf5. The gap between 3rd and 4th is a pain unless you get a 4.02 1st version.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
The t19 will have a lower 1st than your zf5. The gap between 3rd and 4th is a pain unless you get a 4.02 1st version.
Mine has the 4.02 first. I wish it had the 6.32 first: I would swap that in then for sure. This thing has 12" of lift and 36" tires. It is a farm toy now and won't see 4th or 5th gear.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to swap a T19 you will likely need new driveshafts as the transmission is SHORTER...thus shorter front shaft and longer rear. Also may need another cross member. As well gas or diesel trans for T19 does not matter. This just affects ratios. Both will bolt to same bellhousing. I'm not sure if the T19 460 housing could be redrilled for the diesel like a ZF can be.

Good luck

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typ4 has a guide on how to drill gas t19 to fit, said he runs one and liked it

Black dawg

Reaction score
When I did my t-19 swap, I used a 460 trans, and there was not enough room to mod the gas bell to fit the diesel.

The low gear is awsome, I dont know *** they were thinking with that stupid 4:1 first.
THe gear splits actually work out pretty good (better than the diesel version imo) and the only time I notice the gap between 3 and 4 is if I try to down shift on a big hill to early.

The next t-19 diesel truck I have I will search for the low gear t19 and replace that stupid 4:1 first gear trans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online