ZF 5 Q, I'm too lazy to crawl under and look.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Ok thank you.
So you could put a filter on that and run your tranny fluid longer than usual if you wanted to, so long as you weren't opperating at high temps on a regular basis?
I just like the idea of a filter regardless of oil life.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
No, that pump uses hydraulic fluid, not tranny fluid. The tranny has no pump on it. The hydraulics should have a filter on it.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
Mmm. I see. I thought it just used more tranny fluid to run it. That would be a plus for the tranny because of the extra fluid in the pump's resevoir. Although fluid changes would be $$.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I don't really think these trannies get hot enough to need it anyway. Our IDI's aren't that powerful, and the only thing that builds heat is the friction in the gears and the shearing of the fluid. I've never felt mine hot enough that I could even feel heat at the shifter.

The new zf6's have a pump and external cooler. That's a neat idea, but I would be worried about running out of fluid if a rock came up and got it. I think the whole operation is under the truck.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
Ok a few basic the power take off (PTO) bolts to the side of the tranny with 6 bolts where just a blank plate is now. The PTO does increase your tranny capacity about a pint and uses the tranny fluid for lubrication in the PTO gears. Now you bolt a hydraulic pump right onto the PTO or use a drive shaft and mount the pump divoreced you can use hydraulic oil or auto tranny fluid which I use because you can pick some up at almost any gas station should you need it in an emergency. It was mentioned earlier about a winch being a closed loop circuit while is true you will still need a small resovoir cause it would be impossible to get all the air out with out one not to mention messy and time consuming

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online