ZF 5 Q, I'm too lazy to crawl under and look.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
And the running boards are so low, I'd have to jack the truck up.
Do ZF 5's have PTO ports? both sides?

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
Camarogenius said:
And the running boards are so low, I'd have to jack the truck up.
Do ZF 5's have PTO ports? both sides?

Are we thinking about a hyd pto for a winch along with a hyd dumpbed :Sly :Sly :D

82fordtruck

Reaction score
That'd be dificult to figure out the logistics of, with the placement of the engine on these trucks. What about a hydraulic winch?

Camarogenius

Reaction score
Well, the tremor body is quite a bit different than a ford truck, Hydraulic winches are slow, and not nearly as powerful as a pto winch.
I may have to get creative with the pto shaft, but I can put a 20,000 pound winch on the front bumper, and never have to worry about overheating, or burning up the batteries.
The reason I was wondering about PTo's on both sides, ford would logically be on the passenger side, due to the drivers side front diff. My tremor has a pass. front diff, so my pto would have to be on the drivers side.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
If you can get a shaft through there, sure, it's cheap and reliable. Hydraulics can be made for whatever you want though. It won't burn up your batteries or overheat either.

Where are you getting your information about hydraulic winches? I can find you one that is twice the speed with twice the torque. It's just a matter of sizing. You can put whatever pump and motor you fel like on it.

Camarogenius

Reaction score
I've been reading up on winches on pirate 4x4. I know that there are hydraulics out there that do the job, but I can get a military surplus PTO winch for less than 200 bucks.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
That is cheap.

Most of those guys use the Power Steering pump for power. It's about 1500 PSI and 3-5 GPM. You can do a lot better than that with a PTO pump, but I doubt for $200.

The Power Steering pump is the limiting factor, not the winch itself.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
sure all you need is a PTO with a properly matched pump mounted on it then all you have to do is run your hoses and controls and probably a resavoir tank

82fordtruck

Reaction score
You won't need much of a reservoir, it's a closed system. Aric's got the story right. They are very simple systems.

What I like about hydraulics is that there is no real duty cycle. You'll never burn up a motor, or run the battery down. It's also useful for other things, like log splitters or bale forks, or a dump bed.

Rawpower

'Froading Freak
Reaction score
So would I be able to find this at a local TSC? I can't imagine that I would... I did a product search on TSC and on NT and am googling it to no avail. Perhaps a local shop would be best.

OK I'm finding some stuff on 6-hole pumps made by Muncie Power. Most are remotely Air Activated... no fun.
Here are some cable activated.
http://www.sandstruck.com/catalog/PTO/6holepto2.htm

Last edited:

82fordtruck

Reaction score
no, not TSC. Get a hydraulic catalog. It'll have everything you need there, except the PTO. You're on the right track with the PTO.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatDsp?No=63&storeId=6970&N=96
Here try this place this is where I got my pump from and I just told the guy building my PTO what the spec were for the pump and which side of the tranny I was putting it on and a number off the side of the tranny so he new what gears were in the tranny and it fit perfect everythng bolted right up and the whole thing is probably only 12" long

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes

Members online