wvo question?

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
hey guys,been busy working ground and fixing tractors so havent had much time online,you guys running wvo,can i just dump a gallon or so at time into my tank as long as i filter/strain the larger chunks out? :confused: i was thinking about using one of those paint funnels with the screen in it.
i mean if the tank is almost full or at least over half,it should dillute enough to be ok,right?

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, a few things...You will want to get fairly clean oil to start withif it's available. You will need to set it in a big container where it can settle exposed to teh sun and dark is a big help. After that, I would suggest filtering to 10 microns or finer. I have a drum cheapo from Northern Tool mated to a NAPA filer/water sep for my biodiesel. Additionally, add an inline filter between your tanks and main filter. Also be aware, this oil may still contain too much acid adn finally eat your injectors or pump, some people say that these rotary pumps can't handle WVO at least at 100%, I personally don't know, I got frustrated after plugging a bunch of filters and perfected homebrewing of biodiesel. Not saying don't do it, just warning you of some potential pitfalls, the keys to success are filtration water seapration, and heat. If you run WVO on a hot fuel system in the summer when it flows well,if it is clean and dry and not overly acidic, I bet you will have no problems....but I wouldn't guarantee it. There are conversions ystems available. Good luck,
J.D.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a front tank cut open right now so that I can mount a heater core that is contained in its own seperate liquid filled compartment. There's been concerns of diesel feul leaching the solder and coolant ruptures, so I have a stainless steel foodservice container filled with mineral oil to keep the two seperated. WVO requires heat in order to work right. One, the entire feul system must be warmed up and two, the entire system must be purged before shutting your truck down or you will have WVO "congeal" in your feul system and therefore creating a hard/nostart situation.
What I have learned about feul cocktails in a combat situation, you must maintain at least 50% diesel and adjust the rest of your cocktail accordingly to your climate temps and the flow temps of your various oils. As am example, stay at a 10% junk to diesel mix when putting in gasoline, waste motor oil, etc. you can go to 20%-50% when putting in kerosene, JP4, JP8. I know from seeing UAL run straight JP8 in their IDI's, the fel screw is turned up and the timing is retarded a little too.
Whatever cocktail you do use, watch your pyro like a hawk.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
thanks guys,there is about 4 gallons of it sitting at work ready to go into the waste oil furnace,figured i'd grab it before it dumped.i'll have to think on it somemore