WVO mix ratio.

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's kinda warm here in Tennessee these days and I can't seem to make enought bio diesel (processor too small) to get by.

I want to run a filtered WVO and diesel mix, I made a filter consisting of two household water filters, one filter is a 20 micron the other a 10, then I pump it throught a 10 micron spin on filter. All three of these are plumbed together and I get very clean oil (I heat the oil first to dewater it, cool it then filter it while warm), I made a mix of 50% diesel and 50% WVO and ran some in my tractor, ran fine!

Question, is this a good mix for my truck to run on :dunno :dunno what are some of you mixers running???

You guys had way too much fun at the rally, the 4th week is our shutdown at work but I run maintenance so this is when we put in 14 hour days, I did enjoy meeting some of yall at the Chattanooga rally even thought it was only for 5 hours.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Right now I'm running about 3-5 gallons of B20 to the rest of the tank (19 gallon tank as full as I can get it, so maybe 12-14 gallons) filtered WVO.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ron (Dsl dog Catcher), Nick (Double-s-Diesel) and myself have all run as high as 90% WVO and 10% petro diesel without too many problems - they start a little ******* the cool mornings but they run just fine once you get them started.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Yep, like the goat boy said. I've been up to 90% with no problems other than a grumbling cold first start for the day. Running that high of a percentage is good to switch back to a leaner mix before shutting down. Fergot a couple of times and had to cycle the GP's a couple if times to get the oil hot enough.

Front tank WVO blend, rear tank WMO blend 20%.;Sweet

Polychlorinated

Used Register
Reaction score
Hey guys, I do veg oil conversions- I don't want to violate any rules on posting here, but I have a link for you all. This is the company I deal with for good, well crafted, relatively inexpensive parts so you can run on 100% WVO! check out www.plantdrive.com If ya'll have any questions, give me a shout. Be glad to give help ifn you need it. A veg-therm (in-line fuel heater)would allow you to run a pretty high mixture ratio- the most important part is making sure you have properly heated oil to run high mixtures of wvo.

Last edited:

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
At the Carlisle Import Show, I attened a demonstration where a guy filtered WVO and ran his Volvo on it. He used 2 filter socks from McMaster-Carr. One was 10 and the other 1 micron--stuck the 10 micron inside the 1 micron, suspended the socks over a bucket, and poured in the waste oil. Took the filtered oil right over to the Volvo and ran it right to the injection pump. It started right up. Those filter socks from McMaster-Carr were pretty inexpensive, IIRC--about $5 each.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
McMaster Carr is $$$$ on just about everything they sell but they typically have anything for an industrial application and their shipping is fast - that is how they stay in business... I can't remember where I got my box full from (order huge box haven't gone through it yet) but Gruss or Double-S-Diesel should know - because that is where I got my info from. I ordered them online for a lot less than 5 bucks each.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
I get my sock filters from http://www.filterbag.com

5mic. polypropylene felt, plastic ring. You can order a small quanity, but they charge you for breaking up a case.

I run a 50/50 mix, and switch to D2 for start up and shut down. I run as much as 80 percent, but the hard starting made me nervous. So I'm happy with 50/50

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Can the fuel heater that is already built into our trucks be used to heat WVO? I know the fuel heater is thermostatically controlled, but could it be wired to run on demand? Does it provide enough heat to properly heat the WVO?

Polychlorinated

Used Register
Reaction score
Ideally you want temps around 160 as it goes in the injection pump (ip). There is much talk of polymerization if temps are too low and damage to the ip and eventually the cylinder walls. For all interested in some -very- technical talk there is a forum dedicated to WVO/SVO talk. http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/159605551
There is really good info there, sometimes some stupid "how can you think that you big poopy head" talk, but search for some info or opinion of WVO and it is usually there.
By the by, I live in Greenville. Rocking the Mercedes 240D fresh from Canadia I got for $600 Canadian! So for a bit I have been known to go to the RTP area. Give me a shout sometime.
By "relatively inexpensive" I am referring to the quick turnaround by running on 'free' WVO; also the quality and service can't be beaten. You can count the mile on the odometer from when you pay for your kit and then every petroleum free mile after that. Fun times...

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Can the fuel heater that is already built into our trucks be used to heat WVO? I know the fuel heater is thermostatically controlled, but could it be wired to run on demand? Does it provide enough heat to properly heat the WVO?

NO
it helps, but I havent had one in the psd as long as Ive had the truck.

Travis is right, have had 90% in an idi, but no more than 75% in the psd. right now im runnin 60-65% unheated.

Nick

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
so what will really happen to running unheated? how well does it stay mixed with diesel?
I did some cold weather test with some mixes and it showed me it would be ok to go with high ratios and use power service down to 20F with next to no clouding. so with temps in the 80's to 90's all the time??

Timthetoolman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been running a 50/50 unheated mix all week, gets down to 68 to 70 degrees at night, starts right up n the morning as it does on bio or petro.

The only differance is the much much stronger veggy smell at the exhaust, kinda cool, I like to watch motorcycles behind me tryin to figure that one out.

I guess I will run some like this in between brewing bio batches in the summer.