Would you buy a used ambulance?

DOE-SST

1994 E350
Reaction score
There are a couple near me being surplused.

I'm inclined to believe they have no life left, due to constant idling, despite having a near perfect body.

If I could find a decent junkyard IDI engine to install, they'd be more attractive, but I haven't seen an IDI in 2 years of looking through massive salvage yards.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
with my experience, urban use IDI powered E-vehicles have about 150k/mi on the odo before oil consumption gets unrealistically high. I pulled a motor out of a truck that was drinking a gallon of Delo at every fillup. If you can get the operator to use the high-idle kit during extended idle, the ring wash-down drops significantly.

here's my hint on how to find a good used IDI....hit CL for the $2k and less deals. if the only thing on the truck you are after is the motor, offer anywhere from $400-$700. If there is a ZF5 or a D60, offer accordingly. I have no problems finding cannibal victims in CL.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
The 92 f250 i had someone put a low milage ambulance engine in it and it ran fine. The only thing I think of when I think emergency vehicle is when have you seen one warm up? Its usually light up and pound to the boards....

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove IDI powered ambulances for many years. There was never a warm up period. Crank the truck, hit the lights and go to wide open throttle to go and solve whatever problem our poor planning citizens threw at us. My cowrkers and i drove them like we stole them. PM? Never at the correct interval due to not having anything to trade into. Transmissions and brakes? The chassis is fully loaded for its entire service life. There's no way I would buy an ambulance.

berniesouthunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me too, I only drove powerstroke ambulances for many years. We used to go though brakes every 3 months. Start em up, pedel to the floor, and go gogo go. If you were closer I may have an 7.3 that runs good for ya.