DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
f427 intake. C1AE heads.

before
You must be registered for see images attach

after

lil more cleanup needed. Just messing around really.

Dp

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
naw, I just make **** up as I go along.
Best guess is the big c1ae heads with f427, 270s comp cam. Just a mean truck motor. I could also use the top end on the bigger engine I'm working on for my Galaxie, but I'd need a bigger cam by far.

Typ4 had made a comment about my c1 heads in another thread, so I posted this here to avoid being offtopic.

sassyrel

Reaction score
f427 intake. C1AE heads.

before

after

lil more cleanup needed. Just messing around really.

Dp

bottom end cu in????

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I currently have 390's in my truck and Galaxie.
Eventual plans are a 445 for the Truck. cross bolted 445 or 427 for the Galaxie. The Galaxie will be more high rpm. Of course I will tear an engine apart just to change little things, so there is never anything set in stone....

My free time is cut up with repairing/restoring the Galaxie at the time.... lot of welding going on there. I meant originally to build this engine for my truck, but shoot, the engine in it is killer so I hate to mess with that right now :)

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
I got the truck about 2 years ago. Since that time I have:
Threw a rebuilt 390 +.030 and rebuilt c6 in it
4 tires, 4 shocks, all new front end bushings (radius arm, axle pivot, etc), new drag link/tie rods/ etc etc, new coil springs, all new rear end suspension.
I've replaced all brake lines with stainless, new calipers/rotors/drums/shoes/wheel cylinders/Master Cylinder/rebuild proportioning valve/ etc.
rebuilt steering gear, 3 row HUGE aluminum radiator (new).
I recently started replacing all of the seals, window/door/door fuzzies etc.
Obviously rebuilt alternator, power steering pump, recurved distributor, new ignition system.
I'm sure there is about two thousand dollars worth of stuff I forgot :)
Current appearance:

The boy approves!

I am now going through the tedious task of 100% disassembling the Galaxie. Every part is getting cleaned/repaired/painted. It will more than likely take the next 2-3 years. I have the front end off and all body bolts pulled.... When I get home next time I may remove the doors and lift the body off the frame. It is rough going tho, the car spent a few years up north and it shows it in bad places.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
indeed, Galaxies do kick butt. I have always had a fondness of the 63.5 fastback, it is the epitome of Total Performance.
The sound of an FE screaming along at 6,000+ rpms is a sound no other engine makes (at least to my ears).

Next mission is installing the rebuilt rear end in the truck. I currently have 2.73 gear ratio in the rear!!! the 4.10s will be much more pleasing to me (and Exxon's bottom line). I rarely drive any long distance, and don't drive much over 60 mph so it'll work out just fine.
I will say, with any old truck, a brand new, custom made/high quality driveshaft, and some KYB gas-a-just shocks make it a whole nother vehicle.... I would highly suggest it.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Got close to finishing the intake side on the heads:

I didn't have a ton of time to spend on these as the wife had about 45 carpentry projects for me when I got home.....
Sadly I had to leave for work (gone for 28 days) before I could finish blending the valve guide boss a fuzz. I also need to cleanup the exhaust side.... When I get these heads rebuilt I will be installing larger CJ valves (2.090in/1.65exh). Obviously I'll have to do a little touch up work after that, but hopefully not much.

Without a flow bench or any interest in spending a ton of money on 1961 heads I pretty much just cleaned up the ports, removed the crappy casting flash and whatnot. Only did some minor shaping as I saw fit. at least I got to give my air compressor a little workout.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks nice, if you want to run stainless valves I can get you a real good price.

Those heads dont need a lot of porting for what you are doing. Wish I was cloaser need to feel then to see what they like. Just smoothing and matching is good for 2 seconds et on a 360 truck we used to run.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I love me some FEs (have two, both 390s).I have been eyeing the 445 stroker kits for some time now. One of the most overbuilt and now unappreciated engines Ford made. Keep up the good work. I love when people say they are just boat anchors, typical chevy crowd lol.

My dad has a 66 Fairlane GT 390 and i have a 66 Comet 202 with a transplanted 390.

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
typ4, I already have CJ valves from EPN. Damn fine price really, the fella is on the FE Forums.
The intake is so huge all I bothered to do was clean it up.

yeah, a 396 fe spinning 6000rpms in a 3800lb F100 with 4.10 rear gears does NOT make a boat anchor :) I can't wait to add bigger heads and 50cubic inches.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondering: have you made any passes in your truck at the track? Just wondering what the et/trap speed was.

I am Jonesing to drag race again ..........

DeepRoots

Tug Engineer
Reaction score
Just wondering: have you made any passes in your truck at the track? Just wondering what the et/trap speed was.
I am Jonesing to drag race again ..........

Not yet... I'm still trying to break everything :) Have a few more leaks to fix, etc.
The truck has only become reliable for me recently (reliable meaning, I will drive anywhere at any time with no worries).
Between that and being offshore 8-9 months a year. I'm in a weird situation, I actually have more money and spare parts than I do time!!!
That is a first for me.

BlackDawg, if it was me, for the $13-$14k those ebay auctions are running for, I'd rather have brand new parts. a 1965 block thats been welded, sleeved and has cylinder walls that are .080 thick doesn't get me excited.
Also that fella that did the math and claims he has a 4.250x4.250 block that is 520ci... his math sucks. I get 482 for that engine. Nowadays, Genesis, Pond, and Shelby all have aftermarket 427 blocks that are reasonably priced.