won't fire

chinsmackers

Reaction score
ok, my neighbor has an '84 f-350 dually (manual tranny) and it hasn't ran in quite awhile. last time he tried to start it he shot a little bit of ether in it and then cranked it... it cranked for a second and then made a "metallic thump" and hasn't fired since. it currently has all new gp's (motorcraft) and gp controller and his ip timing is on (he checked it).

my opinion: the ether was a bad idea and he probly has a blown piston or head gasket.

he's at the end of his rope with the truck and if he's looking at alot of $$$ to get it running he might part it out. does anyone have any idea's of what else he should look for?

on a brighter note: my 7.3 is running great :D

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you mean that the starter does not engage and the engine does not turn?

There have been cases of the trans adaptor breaking, which will leave the starter hanging down. I'm betting starter fluid could make an engine turn backwards (when ignited by a glow plug) against the starter and break things.

chinsmackers

Reaction score
engine cranks fine... no sign of the starter not engaging, camshaft broken, or crankshaft broken. he says he turned it manually from under the truck while his partner watched the rocker arms on one side move up and down (all moved ok), it just won't run. fuel seaps from the injector caps when he tries to bleed it and it has a new lift pump/fuel filter so it's getting fuel, too.

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a thought - Is it possible that this truck got gasoline in the tank?

I would run a seperate fuel source to the lift pump and try with fresh, known good fuel.

I had a Mercedes 240D I bought not running. Took me six months, a starter and a battery to get it started. The problem? Gasoline in the fuel. As soon as I hooked up a can of good diesel, it fired right up (with the ruined bearings from the PO repeatedly running it on gasoline).

chinsmackers

Reaction score
i'll run out there tonight and see... i would think he would check the fuel already but maybe he has overlooked it.

Mr_Roboto said:
Just a thought - Is it possible that this truck got gasoline in the tank?

I would run a seperate fuel source to the lift pump and try with fresh, known good fuel.

I had a Mercedes 240D I bought not running. Took me six months, a starter and a battery to get it started. The problem? Gasoline in the fuel. As soon as I hooked up a can of good diesel, it fired right up (with the ruined bearings from the PO repeatedly running it on gasoline).

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
How fast does the the starter turn over? You need good cranking speed. Put a good charge on the batts see if that helps.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
I'm with Gary... check the starter speed - they need to spin over pretty quick to insure a good clean start.

Also see if he is getting fuel from the injection pump - crack a line loose at the injector and while cranking see if she's spitting fuel at ya. Just crack it loose don't take it all the way off - a half to full spin on the nut is all you really need. Might be as simple as it's not getting fuel... Not being there we have to throw out suggestions.

chinsmackers

Reaction score
it's about 400-600 rpm's and we've recharged the batt's multiple times throughout this project

GRuss said:
How fast does the the starter turn over? You need good cranking speed. Put a good charge on the batts see if that helps.

imfixinmopars

Full Access Member
Reaction score
mine sat a while and found the water sep. unit was leaking air into the fuel system,from drain tube and plunger area,never started.bypassed it and bleed the system, per tech forum,and she fired.no either please.boom.good luck

Joe Mc

Reaction score
I recently had a bad ignition switch, the FSS had 12 volts with the key on, but the FSS lost power when the switch moved to the start position. 9 bucks for a new one, it is worth checking.

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
I'd say your not getting fuel to the cylinders for one reason or another maybe the inj pump is shot and while it will pump fuel when a line is loose it won't build preasure to pop the injector

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brb5