WMO

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard not to use synthetic trany fluid in the fuel tank, is synthetic motor oil OK to put in it?

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any oil we can scrounge that doesn't have too much gear oil in it. Add fifteen percent rug. Stir well. Stir a little bit more.
Drain the sludge/water/junk off of the bottom a week or so later. Filter through a handful of filters.
Vroom. Vroom.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be RUG? I have about 500gal of No.1 fuel oil. I dont have a use for it other than getting the fire started in my woodstove. The PO of my shop had oil heaters and took them but left a tank full of fuel. Not sure why they did it but i have been using it for a while now and havent found any water or anything in it

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it have to be RUG? I have about 500gal of No.1 fuel oil. I dont have a use for it other than getting the fire started in my woodstove. The PO of my shop had oil heaters and took them but left a tank full of fuel. Not sure why they did it but i have been using it for a while now and havent found any water or anything in it

The rug helps the contaminates drop out of suspension. WMO filtering would require heat and extended settle time and then some more heat to get it to flow throughout the filters.

So add a quart or two of new two stroke oil and fill the tank with heating oil.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds simple enough if i would have know that i wouldnt have been using it to start fires

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have heard not to use synthetic oils because they are just that, synthetic (not a fossil fuel) so it doesn't burn like regular oil would. I have not tried from experience. I would personally not run STRAIGHT synthetic oil cut with rug or kero. if it was a mix of regular waste oil and synthetic waste oil i would give it a shot. But that's just me. Maybe others have run Straight syn waste oil, I haven't so I can't tell you for sure how it would be

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have heard not to use synthetic oils because they are just that, synthetic (not a fossil fuel) so it doesn't burn like regular oil would. I have not tried from experience. I would personally not run STRAIGHT synthetic oil cut with rug or kero. if it was a mix of regular waste oil and synthetic waste oil i would give it a shot. But that's just me. Maybe others have run Straight syn waste oil, I haven't so I can't tell you for sure how it would be

I don't claim to be an oil expert but today's synthetics may not be what you think of when you think of synthetic.

The following copy and paste was the result of a fifteen second google search and is the opinion of the Mobil1 folks. I reckon that they may qualify as oil experts.

How Mobil 1 keeps your engine running like new

Synthetic motor oils – such as Mobil 1 – contain more highly refined base oils than those used in conventional mineral oils, which can offer you better protection and performance. Synthetic oils provide a variety of benefits, such as excellent high- and low-temperature performance, that can provide excellent engine protection.

Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Oils

There are two basic types of engine oil available:
Conventional mineral oil, the traditional engine oil and most widely used

Synthetic motor oil , which is steadily gaining popularity among auto manufacturers and consumers
(There are also synthetic blend motor oils, which are a blend of synthetic oils and conventional mineral oils. Synthetic blend motor oils are also sometimes called “semi-synthetics”.)

Both types of engine oil are made from crude oil that comes from the ground. The difference is that synthetic oils undergo numerous additional highly-advanced distilling, refining, and purification processes — and therefore are of a higher purity and quality than conventional mineral oils. This not only removes more impurities from the original crude, it also enables the engineering of the lubricant’s individual molecules to be uniform and consistent, tailored to meet the specific high-performance demands of modern engines. These customized molecules provide higher levels of protection and performance, even in extreme conditions.

Dave 001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So add a quart or two of new two stroke oil and fill the tank with heating oil.

Why waste money on adding 2 stroke oil? The difference between Diesel and heating oil is negliable....in most causes they are the same thing.

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why waste money on adding 2 stroke oil? The difference between Diesel and heating oil is negliable....in most causes they are the same thing.

Agreed, but many would argue that adding a touch of two stroke never hurt anything. And it certainly can't hurt.

bagpiperjosh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't claim to be an oil expert but today's synthetics may not be what you think of when you think of synthetic.

The following copy and paste was the result of a fifteen second google search and is the opinion of the Mobil1 folks. I reckon that they may qualify as oil experts.

How Mobil 1 keeps your engine running like new

Synthetic motor oils – such as Mobil 1 – contain more highly refined base oils than those used in conventional mineral oils, which can offer you better protection and performance. Synthetic oils provide a variety of benefits, such as excellent high- and low-temperature performance, that can provide excellent engine protection.

Synthetic Oil vs. Conventional Oils

There are two basic types of engine oil available:
Conventional mineral oil, the traditional engine oil and most widely used

Synthetic motor oil , which is steadily gaining popularity among auto manufacturers and consumers
(There are also synthetic blend motor oils, which are a blend of synthetic oils and conventional mineral oils. Synthetic blend motor oils are also sometimes called “semi-synthetics”.)

Both types of engine oil are made from crude oil that comes from the ground. The difference is that synthetic oils undergo numerous additional highly-advanced distilling, refining, and purification processes — and therefore are of a higher purity and quality than conventional mineral oils. This not only removes more impurities from the original crude, it also enables the engineering of the lubricant’s individual molecules to be uniform and consistent, tailored to meet the specific high-performance demands of modern engines. These customized molecules provide higher levels of protection and performance, even in extreme conditions.

looks I heard wrong then. lol... heck, go for it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828