WMO in northern winters

stevedrums

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello. I recently purchased an '86 F250 6.9 for the purpose of saving on fuel cost via waste motor oil. It has been going great so far. I have been running diesel in rear tank for start and shut down and 90% wmo 10% diesel in front tank.

now, winter is approaching. I live in southern alberta. temps range from 0 to -25c (32 to -13f for you 'muricans) but i've seen it as low as -36c (-33f)

i'm looking at this http://www.plantdrive.ca/xcart/produ...2&cat=7&page=1

will this be enough to run 50/50?

i've heard talk of tank heaters. do i need one? should i give up on wmo at those temps?

btw i'm not terribly worried about hurting this truck with high % of wmo... i payed $700

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A tank heater would be cheap insurance against some fuel getting thick. Do you mean a tank heater that you plug in(110V) or a heater that's in the fuel tank that runs "hot coolant" through, like what a semi truck would have?
I always chicken out in the winter and run #1 or a blend, but I do have a heated tank and maybe I'll try out some wmo blends this winter. I would still start it on pure diesel and then switch over.
I have a water temp sensor & guage in the fuel line just after the filter head and have been watching the fuel temps & how they react with the air temps, summer temps though.
I think there are some guys here that have run wmo through winter, we'll see what they say.;Sweet

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
A tank heater would be cheap insurance against some fuel getting thick. Do you mean a tank heater that you plug in(110V) or a heater that's in the fuel tank that runs "hot coolant" through, like what a semi truck would have?
I always chicken out in the winter and run #1 or a blend, but I do have a heated tank and maybe I'll try out some wmo blends this winter. I would still start it on pure diesel and then switch over.
I have a water temp sensor & gauge in the fuel line just after the filter head and have been watching the fuel temps & how they react with the air temps, summer temps though.
I think there are some guys here that have run wmo through winter, we'll see what they say.;Sweet
Thats a good idea I'll have to try that:thumbsup:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle