WMO/ATF filtering

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
In my gravity feed filtering process I have used a PH8A / 5 Micron whole house water filter then into a Permacool fuel filter for several years. Could gravity feed 5 gallons through the filter system in less than a day.

Permacool filter is advertised as a 2 micron filter.

I recently changed my filter and replaced the Permacool final filter with a Baldwin part number BF7587 as a final filter. The gravity feed filter time has went from less than a day for 5 Gallons to Now over a week and and about 3 gallons filtered and still 2 gallons to go.

From what I have been able to research the Baldwin filter is rated a 2 micron. It would seem that there is a great difference between the filtering quality between the 2 filters.

Does anyone have any experience with the Baldwin BF7587 fuel filter? Or any thoughts?

sassyrel

Reaction score
that ph8a, was NOT 5 microns--thats a typical ford filter--which is 20 microns--as are most that are on cars and pickups--cant tell you about the others--

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
that sounds like a real long time to filter, i that intentional? i dont know specifically about that filter but they can be rated for 2 mic average size or 2 mic absolute. the difference is with absolute it should never let anything more than 2mic pass where average can have some larger holes here and there to let some bigger stuff through.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
The 5 micron filter is the whole house water filter between the PH8A and the Baldwin filter.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Build yourself a tank that can be filled with oil and that has an air connection for forcing the oil through the filters. That coupled with a regulator to keep the pressure constant will allow you to filter that oil very quickly.

spg

Big Red
Reaction score
I am not concerned so much about the speed although I am amazed at how much slower it is gravity filtering. I am thinking that the Baldwin filter must be filtering a lot better than the Permacool filter was. The Baldwin filter is 10" long so it has a lot more surface area than the Permacool filter at 5" long.

I don't use a large amount so the speed it filters is not worth heating it to speed up the rate or using a pump or air pressure. Just trying to get the best filtration possible. And wanted to share my findings.

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Build yourself a tank that can be filled with oil and that has an air connection for forcing the oil through the filters. That coupled with a regulator to keep the pressure constant will allow you to filter that oil very quickly.

I have an old sandblasting tank (7 gal) that we upgraded to a larger unit, I think I may have just found a use for it!

5-10 psi should be good for this though, I would think anything more would just blow apart filters

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
I have an old sandblasting tank (7 gal) that we upgraded to a larger unit, I think I may have just found a use for it!

5-10 psi should be good for this though, I would think anything more would just blow apart filters

that would work fine, 5-10 actually sounds a little low. i think both my house and goldenrod filter are rated to over 100 psi or so. i usually run 20-30. jut check the rating of the filters and tanks themselves and dont go over the lowest limit.