Wiring harness swap?

trev1lov3

Reaction score
Hi guys been reading the forums a while and googling and cant find the answer. Long time reader of the forum first time poster. I have a 1990 xlt lariat f350 n/a 7.3idi. Its was my grandpas and then my dads and know im commandeering it cuz its been neglected. Well had been running fine nut a squirrel had. Mustve got in there or sumthing idk. The whole glow plugs harness is like melted some of the connects r completwly gone on two and lthe wires r like welded to the glowplugs. Ive been looking for a new harness just and its pretty slim pickins. Will a 6.9idi glow plug harness direct swap? Like fit into the grey plug and run to the same sensors? Never had a 6.9 to know

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably should be in the general 6.9/7.3 forum not the tech articles. Won't get any traffic here.

I'm not sure if they are cross compatible. I redid mine using a 6.0 psd glow plug harness set. Works okay if you massage it a little.

@snicklas
@towcat

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
No it won't "directly" swap as in plug and play. For one, the glow plug connections are different. The 6.9 uses a spade type connector while the 7.3 uses a bullet type connector. They use different style controllers too. As I remember, the actual plugs themselves that are just to the passenger's side of the engine are shaped differently. It seems that the older trucks have a smaller plug than later ones. I'm not sure on years or engines on that. The ONLY exception MAY be one from a 1987. The engine was a 6.9, but it used the 7.3 style glow plug system.

trev1lov3

Reaction score
Hmm some one told me they have one from a 6.9 and said " itll work it just had different connectors" guessing theyre b.s. 'n me. But hopefully not trying to get my hands on a harness asap this ones pretty much junk. That is good info though thank you.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
depends on the year of the 6.9
a 87 6.9 harness will swap right over
the earlier years, not so much

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do a search for the 6.0 harness swap on here, $30 on eBay and a couple ring terminals crimped on the controller end and you're good to go.

You could get a new 7.3 harness... But they're EXPENSIVE!

trev1lov3

Reaction score
Thx fpr the suggestion ima look into that. Yeah ida been looking for uses anyway i noticed international 300 + dollar price tag

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did the 6.0 harness. Found that I had to get rid of the plastic T housing to make the drivers side fit right.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did the 6.0 harness. Found that I had to get rid of the plastic T housing to make the drivers side fit right.

Yup, now that you mention it so did I. Super easy to figure out how to remove the "T" though. Glad you remembered! Lol

VandalS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, now that you mention it so did I. Super easy to figure out how to remove the "T" though. Glad you remembered! Lol

I didn't figure it out till the front connector wasn't fitting at all. Took it off after a couple days and it works fine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online

Members online