Wire routing for EGT sender.

NotAMechanic

Reaction score
Need to run some wires through the firewall, for EGT and oil pressure gauges.
There is no boot around the steering column, and the small grommeted hole behind the clutch pedal is already filled with who knows what. I don't have a radio, so I was thinking of putting the wires through the firewall there, if there isn't any metal.
I'm trying to avoid putting a hole in anything metal, as my area tends to rust out anything that's been drilled within a matter of weeks.
Any ideas or advice?
Thanks in advance.

ifrythings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my truck there is a little rubber boot that holds the firewall insulation in the cab on, I ran it through that

You must be registered for see images attach

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my truck there is a little rubber boot that holds the firewall insulation in the cab on, I ran it through that

You must be registered for see images attach
So mine isn't in the same spot but below where he circled is a much larger spongey boot with other stuff running through it already.
Took me like 15 years to ever notice that damn boot. Ran all my gauges through a hole I had to drill which is way harder to get to, sketchier, harder to use in every way. Dangnabit.

The_Josh_Bear

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I do this, I put a piece of rubber hose over whatever goes through the firewall.
I did also, but of course i drilled the hole for like 3 wires and now have 6 plus... anyway a grommet that actually fits is the answer or to move them over to the spot I mentioned. And now that you said something I can add "grommet in firewall" to my "random stuff to get at NAPA" note on my phone. Thanks!

Cubey

Van dweller
Reaction score
I did also, but of course i drilled the hole for like 3 wires and now have 6 plus... anyway a grommet that actually fits is the answer or to move them over to the spot I mentioned. And now that you said something I can add "grommet in firewall" to my "random stuff to get at NAPA" note on my phone. Thanks!

If you have a HFT around, they sell a plastic box of them in about 6 or so sizes for cheap.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online