Windshield wipers barely move

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, the job is done and I have a new wiper motor installed. Didn't get around to it very quickly, did I? For those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure -cuss, it wasn't too bad. I didn't quite do it the same way as some of the other guys have. (BTW, this is Truck 2 in signature).

Since I work alone, I didn't remove the engine hood. It might have made the job easier to remove it, but it takes two people. Instead, I removed the bottom chrome strip from the windshield to get enough room to remove the cowling that covers the wiper arm assembly.

The main problem I had was replacing the clip that holds the wiper arm push-levers onto the motor shaft. After about 45 minutes of cussing and a call to Towcat, I removed the motor and compared the new shaft to the original. It turned out that the slot that the clip was supposed to engage was only about half the width of the slot on the original shaft. I exchanged the new shaft for the old one, and I was back in business. Total time: about three hours.

Thanks to you guys with all the suggestions!