Windshield wipers barely move

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't know yet what's wrong, but i have a same problem. Now they've got to state where they move sometimes, but mostly they doesn't move at all.

I've read that disassembling the motor and doing some cleaning and lubrication it should work again. After next week i have time to try that out...

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the same problem on my 89 - let me know if you figure it out. I was planning to just spend the $100 on a new wiper motor - but for the moment i have other things to fix so i just used the rainex and get by without wipers.

thanks,
Paul

sassyrel

Reaction score
had the 85 do the same--found out-it was the shaft that holds the wiper was nearly froze!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had to remove them, and soak em!!! work good now

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
had the 85 do the same--found out-it was the shaft that holds the wiper was nearly froze!!!!!!!!!!!!!! had to remove them, and soak em!!! work good now

could you please explain a little more how you did this? Like what all did you have to remove first - the wiper motor, cowl, etc? I have never messed with this part of the truck before but i would sure like to get them working again without having to buy a new wiper motor if possible.
thanks,
Paul

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had this happen intermittently, and it ended up being the intermittent wiper control box. Swapped it out for a different one, and the "constant-on" wipers work...but the intermittent settings just result in the wipers going constantly. :dunno

If the problem's constant, that sounds like a motor or possibly a linkage issue, though...

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could you please explain a little more how you did this? Like what all did you have to remove first - the wiper motor, cowl, etc? I have never messed with this part of the truck before but i would sure like to get them working again without having to buy a new wiper motor if possible.
thanks,
Paul

Bump! As Grease Fire asks, how do you remove the wiper motor to work on it?

Thanks!

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got a new wiper motor and all works well now. Even the intermittent positions work now, motor was $ 57.79.

I attached a file what came with the motor box, it contains instructions to how to remove and install the motor, if anyone needs it. I had to shrink the filesize so it fits to the site limits, but it's still readable...

Attachments

• Ford_Wiper_Motor_1.pdf
    200.8 KB · Views: 49

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello KPJ,

Thank you very much for that file attachment! That's a big help. I especially like the troubleshooting chart.

What the heck are you doing with a Ford diesel truck in Finland? I've never been there, but isn't diesel too expensive there to use in a large truck like our Fords?

Thanks again!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello KPJ,

What the heck are you doing with a Ford diesel truck in Finland? I've never been there, but isn't diesel too expensive there to use in a large truck like our Fords?
monte-
next to Japan and Australia, the north european countries are the largest importer of American V8 iron. cookoo

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for that file attachment! That's a big help. I especially like the troubleshooting chart.

Glad it helped you :)

Thanks again!

Tell you the truth, it really doesn't make any sense to use these kind of trucks on daily basis here. At current rate (€1=$1,26) diesel costs about €1,1/Liter (about 6 months ago €1,42/liter) so you can do the math that i would get a hell of a lot cheaper driving with some econobox. But the thing is I don't want to. And basiclly everybody who lives in Finland are used to the fact that everthing is damn expensive, why do think i order so much stuff straight from the US.
I tow about 10 times a year a 9 m long trailer and that's about all my driving that makes sense with my truck and the rest of the yearly miles (15000 miles) are just joyriding (including workdriving).

All i can say that my dream since i was a little boy has been to own one lifted US truck and when i have achieved it i ain't going to sell it for i while. Yes it's expensive, but we live only once so why not?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can only vouch for the wipers on my 1985, plain old wipers, no "intermittent".

Mine first started out by getting progressively more draggy and slow to respond.

They were like that for a few years and then it got to where it took a whack on the motor to get them going.

Removing the motor was very simple and accomplished by only working under the hood with no need to remove the cowl.

I managed to get the control arm to come out the big hole enough to get it loose from the motor.

I drilled out the rivets that hold the motor cover; you can see what I mean when it is out and on the work-bench.

When re-assembling, these rivets will need to be replaced with small machine-screws/nuts.

I cleaned and lubed all the moving parts, and cleaned and freed up the brush-ways.

The "guts" of these wiper-motors are very simple with few parts.

That has been over three years ago and it still works flawlessly.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it helped you :)

Tell you the truth, it really doesn't make any sense to use these kind of trucks on daily basis here. At current rate (€1=$1,26) diesel costs about €1,1/Liter (about 6 months ago €1,42/liter) so you can do the math that i would get a hell of a lot cheaper driving with some econobox. But the thing is I don't want to. And basiclly everybody who lives in Finland are used to the fact that everthing is damn expensive, why do think i order so much stuff straight from the US.
I tow about 10 times a year a 9 m long trailer and that's about all my driving that makes sense with my truck and the rest of the yearly miles (15000 miles) are just joyriding (including workdriving).

All i can say that my dream since i was a little boy has been to own one lifted US truck and when i have achieved it i ain't going to sell it for i while. Yes it's expensive, but we live only once so why not?

:dunno I can't say Finland sounds much different than the U.S. LOL

kpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the people that i have met from the US aren't that much different than people in Finland and i think the biggest differences comes from legislation. Here all the taxes are high but on the opposite site social welfare is pretty good at the moment (going downhill like everything else at the moment).

There is lots of Finnish and Scandinavian people who has moved to US and plenty of them have started their own business there and some of them imports cars, parts, motorcycles etc. to Finland and they have atleast one freight container full of stuff coming every week. So i think here is very much people who has a hobby of driving V8 muscle ;Sweet .

And tell you the truth i can't even remember when the Diesel was as low priced as you still get, but i still feel for you and your pain when the price gets higher :mad: ...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
This may help some with a slow wiper motor. I just removed my wiper motor because it was very slow after sitting down for about a year. The first time I ran it the sound was ugly to say the least. Well it turns out the motor magnets became unglued from the motor case and were stuck to the rotating motor coils. Time for a new motor....:rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online