Windshield Washer Mister

Reaction score
I've had enough...

That darn windshield mister is a bad design! Running down the road with a side wind I get most of the fluid on the hood and hardly any on the windshield. Only when conditions are perfect (standing still) do I get fluid where it's suppose to be.

I have a few Dodge parts in my old IDI project which is bad enough, but I'm contemplating putting on wipers from a chevy pickup with the squirter in the wiper arm. Has anyone came up with a fix for this? Am I the only one with this problem.

Paul

ericboutin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting idea, but don't the Chevrolets have a much shorter arm than ours? Seems like when I had my old Chebby the wipers looked that they should have been on a MG or something...

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Paul mine doesn't work well either. Only really get ones side of the window. I think you could readily harvest some parts from a GM wiper arm at a wrecking yard and mount them on your factory arm and be done with it. Maybe some new parts at the auto parts store for cheap too. Like in the HELP! section or something.
James

L.Wilkinson

Its an Arktos not a Sub
Reaction score
6point9diesel said:
I've had enough...

In answer to your question, yes you can add hose extensions and individual nozzles to each arm such that they spray down onto the windshield regardless of wind or truck speed. When I added a deflector to the front of my hood, the wind flow over the front changed enough that I wasn't getting much fluid where it needed to go at various speeds.
I used small bolt in place nozzles that are a Bosch wiper component I believe, taken from class 8 equipment. Just had to drill a very small hole to fasten the nozzle as our wiper blades mount differently. I disconnected the nozzle at the base of the windsheild and split the hose up to each wiper arm. That was about 8 years ago, never given it another thought :Sly

Reaction score
Zeek (Is it ok if I call ya that?)

Sure wish mine worked well. The original design is nice for if the wipers are frozen to the windshield. If it's cold and you don't (for whatever reason) have a scraper you can usually thaw things out with a little solution and the defrost.

Eric,

I'm not sure on the length, and I doubt it would be a bolt on affair. I've just driven a few chevys with the squirter in the arm and really thought it was nice...solution on the windshield where you want it.

James,

My thoughts exactly. Just head to the bone yard...two wipers me up please...and out the door. It doesn't seem like it should be too complicated. I think the toughest thing would be plumbing to the new setup.

Paul

Reaction score
Mr. Wilkinson,

Looks like just what the dr. ordered. I guess I could look up F350 Campers Splash orifice chart from Macarr Parts and go that route as well.

Thanks much. I may just give that a go.

Paul

BTW,

Do you have any pics of the rig in your signature? I'd be interested in seeing it. Any pictures of the buildup would be interesting also.

Thanks again.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hmmmm....
you are definitely one for new ideas ;Sweet
I have a few GM's out back and will have to take a look at adapting the squirters onto my ford arms. I'll get back to you later on tonite :D

Reaction score
Towcat,

I'm curious what you will find. I know I've driven '85 chevys (Scotsdale's and Silverado's) with that feature.

Thanks much

Paul

PackRat

Buzzard Pilot
Reaction score
Look at the arms on a Pete, too. They have a dual port squirter, with an adjustable ball on the outboard end. Seems like they are very similar to the arms on my Chev, except for the little retainer bump, for the squirter.

On second thought, the Pete arms use either a tapered spline adapter, or a thru-bolt style. I don't think it would be easy to adapt the arm. You might be able to use the squirter independently, though.

Last edited:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
6point9diesel said:
Zeek (Is it ok if I call ya that?)

Sure wish mine worked well. The original design is nice for if the wipers are frozen to the windshield. If it's cold and you don't (for whatever reason) have a scraper you can usually thaw things out with a little solution and the defrost.

Paul

My name is Exekiel, but you can call me EZ like some of the guys do, that makes thing easier for every one LOL .

The chevy I talk about is a 2001 2500 van, I'm sure you can get those parts from any jyard. Now, it will be good to come up with some sort of connection to the hose that wont be hanging in there or waving while using it.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i know how you feel,my blade scrwes up the air flow so the washer fluid about goes over the cab -cuss
dont some model gm cars have a squirter that simply clips/snaps over the wiper arm?then hose is routed up to the squiter.
that would be sweet if it was that simple,but it never is :mad:
the new super dutys use about the same setup as we have now,but i think squiter tech has come along way cause they seem to work ok
wait, :eek: gm parts on our fords :puke: :puke: :puke: :backoff :draw

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I'd be happy if'n I could just keep the silly knob facing towards the windshield. :mad:
Keeps turning clockwise and I can squirt the car to the left of me when they're not looking. :rolleyes:
Good distance too. ;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
rancherman84 said:
wait, :eek: gm parts on our fords :puke: :puke: :puke: :backoff :draw

the funny part is no manufacturer has a hammerlock on good ideas. To be honest with you, I came from a GM background and moved into fords due to the F450 and the fact the 6.9/7.3 blew away the GM. But honestly, have you heard of GM's having electrical fires like a ford? You won't because any high amp stuff, GM will spend the extra pennies and throw a relay on the darn thing. We have the dirty advantage of bulletproofing our rides with crossing over the tech ;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online