Will Ether cause the glow plugs to swell?

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been told that using starting fluid will cause glow plugs to swell making them almost impossible to pull them out of the heads. Is this true if the glow plugs are not working (by-passed and unhooked GPC) because it starts so much easier with ether when the temp drops below 30*F.

I was considering an ether starting system instead of replacing the glow plugs or replacing the glow plugs and putting in a switch to bypass them when its cold enough to need ether and then using the glow plugs for warmer starts above 25*F.

I should add ..... I have no intention of replacing the glow plugs and controller until it warms up..... so if you intend to "council" me on the need to replace the glow plugs or the dangers of using ether then don't post. I am well aware of what could happen and thats why I unhooked the GPC.

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I turn on the ignition switch, pop the hood, hook up the remote starter, give it a psht psht with the can, start cranking and it fires right up. some times its cold enough I need to give it an additional psshhtt while cranking if it doesn't catch right away.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the use of ether..does NOT ruin gp's...you may have a resulting bang form the instant ignition by the gp's,,but it doesnt ruin em,,nor swell em...wives tales............:rotflmao

punkmechanic

diesel tech
Reaction score
It will expand them if they are on and glowing (think heating a nail head to glowing orange and smacking it with a hammer, same concept with heated air). The ether will also shatter valves and crack heads, blow head gaskets, the list is endless.

One other thing to concider, since you are so dead set on not fixing them now, is that the longer they stay in and not working the more carbon will build up and that can also seize them into the head. They can and do break off, then your options are spending hours trying to remove them or pulling the heads.

Much simpler, cheaper, and safer to put 8 beru/motorcraft glow plugs and a 59 dollar motorcraft glow plug controller. 4 hours and 200 bucks and she will fire at 30 below without ether, or cracked heads.

punk

sassyrel

Reaction score
It will expand them if they are on and glowing (think heating a nail head to glowing orange and smacking it with a hammer, same concept with heated air).
the pressure,,from the ether exploding,,is the same,,all the way around the gp..i see i dont have enough posts..

Last edited by a moderator:

1dieselman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting fluid does some interesting things to hot glow plugs, also does a fantastic job of eroding the aluminum piston crowns.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the use of ether..does NOT ruin gp's...you may have a resulting bang form the instant ignition by the gp's,,but it doesnt ruin em,,nor swell em...wives tales............:rotflmao

I think when the ether is used wrong, it acts just like way advanced timing. I have seen this kill glowplugs (elecrically) but no swelling.

sassyrel

Reaction score
I think when the ether is used wrong, it acts just like way advanced timing. I have seen this kill glowplugs (elecrically) but no swelling.

correct!! on my idi turbo,,when i advanced the timing[ran like scat] it ate gp's about once a month!!!!!!! back to normal timing!!

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care what they cost, doesn't change the fact that it is too cold to go outside and change them......

Thatguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will expand them if they are on and glowing (think heating a nail head to glowing orange and smacking it with a hammer, same concept with heated air). The ether will also shatter valves and crack heads, blow head gaskets, the list is endless.

One other thing to concider, since you are so dead set on not fixing them now, is that the longer they stay in and not working the more carbon will build up and that can also seize them into the head. They can and do break off, then your options are spending hours trying to remove them or pulling the heads.

Much simpler, cheaper, and safer to put 8 beru/motorcraft glow plugs and a 59 dollar motorcraft glow plug controller. 4 hours and 200 bucks and she will fire at 30 below without ether, or cracked heads.

punk

if this is the case..... then I need to pull the engine for an overhaul anyway because I got no idea how long they have not been working in which case swelling glow plugs are irrelevant.