WILL A STOCK IDI BEET A POWERSTROKE ON TAKEOFF?

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Owning both, I would put my automatic Bronco up against my automatic Excursion any day. Yea, the X ways a lot more, but it's that pathetic 4R100 trans in the X which is it's achilies heel. If the race were limited to 40 MPH, the IDI would win every time.

It's not the tranny. It's the pathetic program Ford gave it. A shift kit helps too.:D

yARIC008

Drives really slow
Reaction score
It depends on the powerstroke I think. My 92 can't touch my dad's 05. Both stock. Infact the 05 can beat my 92 pulling an 18' trailer too.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My truck would take my dads old early 99 off the line but his would pull away once rpms were up. Mine is 4.10 that truck was 3.73.

sassyrel

Reaction score
my 94 turbo--that travis and mel have seen--would burn the tires off in first gear if i stayed on it----with posi-----------the 96 stock psd i have--wont hold a candle--course,the 94 is cranked a bit!!!!!!!! :D:D

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
off the line a IDI will pull ahead of a PSD. Once the turbo spools up and the rpms get past 2500, the PSD will win. PSD's with no spooling are dogs.

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There must have been something different with the 95 stroker that I drove breifly. It idled like crap and almost loped a little all the way up to 1000 RPM. Right around 1500 is where all hell broke loose. Even at 1200 I was very surprised at how sensitive the throttle was and how much torque was on tap. I do know for a fact that the truck had a 3" downpip from the turbo (not stock for 1995) so maybe it was chipped too? Can't say I noticed much turbo lag either.

I didn't try pushing it too hard because it wasn't my truck and I knew it had a broken rear shackle. Actually the whole thing was a complete POS full of rust and cigarette butts, but that engine did want to move. Worst part of that SMF swap was getting the shifter boot off, I don't clean my truck out very often, but man that guy was filthy!:puke:

That one was a 5 speed. No idea on gearing but guessing 4.10

Black dawg

Reaction score
the stroker computer has a real conservative fuel rate until it boosts good making them a dog off the line. thats why in stock form they rarely smoke at all.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
a non turbo idi to a stock PSD, i call the idi a winner, in the 1st and 2nd gear. A stock PSD are very lathargic off the line. But once the turbo spools.....it helps alot, but the chip acts likes a second turbo in comparison.
As for a 1st gen PSD(94-97) to a 2nd gen(99-03). The 1st gen will have the 2nd gen thru the first 2 gears, then the 2ng gen blows buy like a freight train!!!! Hell. my 00 when stock would walk all over my 97 chipped up:eek:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
this is an old vid but i'll post it again for the new guys. it shows how the IDI responds better than the PSD until the PSD gets a head of steam (boost).

in the second race it's hard to see but Darrin had me off the line by a good truck length+ but i caught up as we approached the camera.

You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That was a 2ng gen powerstroke too.;Really

The 95 I drove must have been chipped. Had to have been from what I am hearing.

smokin69

Always smokin'
Reaction score
When I raced my mom in the dually with just a straight pipe against my 86, the IDI took it till it shifter into 3rd, and she passed me by, but I passed her like she was standing still when she leveled off at the governer in OD :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent