WILL A STOCK IDI BEET A POWERSTROKE ON TAKEOFF?

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
There are so many HP ratings to consider w the PSD. The 94-97 were 215
the 99-03 autos were 250hp and the late 99-03 sticks were 275hp

And in that vid you could see Darins truck was rolling the coal while the PSD was clean

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
You know Rob I think it's time for another go at it with Darrin - you should still win as he only has a little ole 6 banger now.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
LOL Travis. my PSD is still stock...would that be like bringing a knife to a gun fight?:dunnoLOL

i have been thinking of getting some tunes for it but i'm cheap and scared of blowing up my trans. plus it does everything i need it to do, quite well, already.

you never know. my tentative plan is to wait till i need a trans, get a good low stall TC and a shift kit, and then get a chip...will it outrun Darrin then? maybe, maybe not, but it will be a lot more fun to drive!

back on topic, i still like driving my IDI around town empty better than my PSD. it runs good and handles like it's on rails in comparison.

You must be registered for see images attach

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TELL ME WHAT YOU GUYS THINK, I HAVE NOT GOT THE CHANCE TO RACE A POWERSTROKE,JUST A STOCK CHEVY 2WD -2003,I WHOOPPED ITS HINEY ON TAKE OFF, BUT HE WOULD OF GOT ME ON TOP END. BUT I THINK THE IDI HAS MORE OUT OF THE HOLE POWER, TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK;Sweet

Ok as long as we are talking crazinesscookoo My truck set up the way it is (not stock) will hang with a stock power stroke or Cummins for that matter, then catch them and pass them on the top end. Why? 3:55's, Turbo, ZF5, turned up pump, 6.2 governor spring and no MPH limiter. An unchipped Power Stroke or Cummins is only good for about 97 MPH before they hit the limiter. Yeah.... it really ****** them off:sly Oh.... I don't recomend this unless you are crazy and don't mind haulin your IDI home on a wrecker:eek:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
that was on flat ground on a good running day, empty.

much better than mine, and i have new injectors and a rebuilt ip set to 3800 rpm with ram air intake and 3 inch exhaust and best i have done so far is 15 seconds, but mines a manual i guess i just cant shift:dunnoLOL

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
yeah, an automatic helps when running empty. manual shifting slows ya down a bit, even though it's better in most every other way.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Ok as long as we are talking crazinesscookoo My truck set up the way it is (not stock) will hang with a stock power stroke or Cummins for that matter, then catch them and pass them on the top end. Why? 3:55's, Turbo, ZF5, turned up pump, 6.2 governor spring and no MPH limiter. An unchipped Power Stroke or Cummins is only good for about 97 MPH before they hit the limiter. Yeah.... it really ****** them off:sly Oh.... I don't recomend this unless you are crazy and don't mind haulin your IDI home on a wrecker:eek:

the ole goat truck was only good for about 115 with the govnr moved out to 3 grand.... , the inlines can't turn that many rpms and that is really the hold back on them.... now it had a pretty decent low end not as good as the Enterprise was but again once the turbo caught fire it was Seeeeee ya.... Was kinda neat when the turbo caught because then both rear would let loose and it was hang on time...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Rob, I would like to see it, that inline runs pretty strong but he does have a 1st gen which is limited in it's fuel delivery so I think once you chip yours and both of you get your air stuffers fired up that it would pretty darn close... I know how Darrin's does - he gave me a ride but wouldn't let me behind the wheel (wonder why???? :D - smart man there.... ) and I know how most chipped PSD's do and I seriously would like to see that little match up... not sure who would get there first...

Me thinks next time we alls together somethings gotta go down...

Hybrid455

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ole goat truck was only good for about 115 with the govnr moved out to 3 grand.... , the inlines can't turn that many rpms and that is really the hold back on them.... now it had a pretty decent low end not as good as the Enterprise was but again once the turbo caught fire it was Seeeeee ya.... Was kinda neat when the turbo caught because then both rear would let loose and it was hang on time...

Yeah I was referring more to the newer 7.3 and 6.0 P/S but I had a new Cummins scratchin his head the other night too. Don't know for sure cuz my speedometer only goes to 85 and then bounces at 6:00 but I guessed he must have been electronically speed limited at about a 100. He come up on me on the freeway and blew by, imagine his surprise when the ol 86 IDI was back on his bumper and slipped on by. Bet he's in the market for a new programLOL Again.... not the normcookoo but I couldn't resist that one time and fortunately for me the ol IDI still lives. Until I get an intercooler the PYRO don't like that stuff.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
my top speed is over 100:sly 3800 rpm makes for a nice top speedLOL, and my truck dont really feel slow to me at all, i have no idea maybe the fuel system is worn out on yours diesel_brad, i have brand new injectors and a rebuilt ip thats not even timed by a meter i just timed it by ear and i can burn rubber in 1st and catch second no problem on a dry road

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
If we hadn't got rained out at Ky we could have seen a chipped psd and Darrins truck run. Thought about seeing if he wanted to run on our way back to the campground after the corvette museum but the roads were wet and I was having a hard time keeping the truck straight LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.