Will a 96 Vacuum Pump interchange

Tim McKay

Reaction score
I got a vacuum pump from NAPA for a 96-97 F250. The bolt pattern looks to be the same as a 92-93 I am buying this for. The new one comes with a pulley that looks to have the proper offset to for the 92-93 serpentine belt. I have been using a Dorman 300-700 pulley, and had a previous failure at the weld, and want a backup for a long trip I am about to take, preferably with the pulley mounted on the pump already. Its easier to change that way. No luck in finding a stock pulley yet.
Why do I need a pulley? Because my ******* threw out the old one! I guess thats part of the learning curve.

New NAPA vacuum pump
https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?text=64-1029&referer=semantic&se=1&txtUser=

Dorman pulley
https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-48993-300-700.aspx

Thanks for the help

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Bought one for a 88’ F250 at Oriellys a couple years ago, same thing, only came without the pulley. Tried to swap pulleys but the pulley off my old one had a smaller ID and damaged the shaft. So returned it and got another pump and an aftermarket pulley and it all worked out. Still don’t know why you can’t seem to find them put together. Maybe they use them for many types of power plants, the makers just figured you can put the pulley you need on their part.

Scotty4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They used the same pump on the E and F 100-350, Ranger, F-59, F-53, Bronco, Aerostar, Explorer from 83-93 and on the 84/85 Chevy S10 and Blazer. I wouldn't bet they all have the same pulley.

You must be registered for see images attach

Tim McKay

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I pickup the truck later today, and will look closer then.
Good info, I bet with that wide range of vehicles, the 96-97 is the same. Sure looks like it. The pulley diameter on it looks right also.
I really didnt want to rely on another Dorman pulley, and the one on this pump is stamped steel, and should be stronger than the welded type.
I wanted to get a quick answer in case I need to go on a massive search to find something as a backup, since I leave in the morning.

Tim McKay

Reaction score

This is the pump from NAPA from above link.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online