WHY NO SYNTHETICS IN DIESELS

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One would think in todays technological climate there would be synthetics to protect our American made sweetheart diesels, so why aren,t there? does anyone know?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are syns, and they work fine in most engines, but, the molecules are smaller and all the same size so it tends to find leaks.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better chemistry , protects better, additives are whatever the maker uses so that isnt a point.

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
Cost is probably one of the biggest factors as to why you dont see more synthetics in use.

ocnorb

IDIT
Reaction score
I have run Synthetic (Mobil 1 Delvac) in my wife's Jetta Tdi for 140K miles and in our Liberty CRD (2.8L Diesel) for 20K.

Oil changes at 10K mile intervals with zero issues.

Using dino in the 6.9L purely because it doesn't see as many miles and the oil only gets/needs changed once per year. Might try the new RotellaT-6 next time if I am out of Delo. Like Russ said above- it may find lots of new places to leak, so I am hesitant to try it.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it seems to me if you buy high grade filters the synthetics actually lube and protect better? The biggest problems are initial cost and finding new and unwanted leaks. Yes?

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it seems to me if you buy high grade filters the synthetics actually lube and protect better? The biggest problems are initial cost and finding new and unwanted leaks. Yes?

This is the website for you: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

I run synthetic oil in my 1996 Passat TDI for three reasons: 1) VW recommends it; 2) the top compression ring is so close to the top of the piston that running non-synthetic will eventually lead to it gumming up and sticking; and 3) synthetic oil is better for the turbo as it can better handle the heat w/o breaking down.

On a non-turbo'd IDI motor, on which people are easily getting 300-400K miles using non-synthetic oil assuming that they are doing normal maintenance, I don't really see using synthetic as an advantage, unless you are in an area where it gets really cold in the winter. The synthetic flows better when cold and requires less cranking amps over a non-synthetic oil.

You can also significantly extend your oil change intervals while using synthetic oil, especially if you are running a supplemental bypass filter (will take much more of the soot of the oil than the main filter). I would run oil analysis at regular intervals (at least initially) in order to determine what your change interval should be. There are people who do this and are getting 25K miles on a change.

Now if your truck sits for long periods of time, or is used for a lot of short trips (during which the oil never fully gets up to temp and boils off all of the moisture and fuel that gets into it), I think that using synthetic is a complete waste of money. In this situation, you need to do frequent or "severe service" oil changes, synthetic oil or not.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BITOG is a place to learn about lubricants and filters and huge biased egoes.
You can learn alot more about oil and filters by getting facts and skipping the opinions all together.
WWW.NORIA.COM

You really dont need anyplace else to learn, these guys are the fact finders no BS like at BITOG

Javier

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
First oil change I did right after I bought my truck was with rotella and I had some oil spots in my drive way two oil changes latter with rotella no more leaks;Sweet not sure if that's good or not:dunno but haven't had any other oil related issues

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
BITOG is a place to learn about lubricants and filters and huge biased egoes.
You can learn alot more about oil and filters by getting facts and skipping the opinions all together.
WWW.NORIA.COM

You really dont need anyplace else to learn, these guys are the fact finders no BS like at BITOG

Javier

A closed mind is like a closed book, just a block of wood.

As far as oil changes, I believe you should go with what suits your conditions. If you put low miles on your rig like I do, there isn't a real point in changing your oil but once a year. Most conventional oils will do...but like previously mentioned, synthetics will perform better starting in colder climates. Also don't forget the better longevity with synthetics if you put alot of mileage on your truck.

Last edited:

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering the facts that Synthetics are superior to mineral lubricants in many ways, many owners of vehicles fail to understand in the quest for better longetivy of equiptment that Air/Oil filters alone using mineral oil can extend oil life 2/5 times, compared to the use of discount Air/Oil filters.

So the price of a Nano Fiber air filter cost the same as a pricey K&N but compared to a K&N it will capture DUST, something the K&N will let slip right in.

A oil filter from NAPA GOLD $10/12? captures 25 micron last 3/10,000 miles:dunno
Compared to a Synthetic XE XD HE style filter, that is available, but cost $20/$25 dollars, captures 15micron absolute, allows for extended operation and cleans the oil better than the cheap filter.

If it last 3 times longer is it worth it? Alot of people rather not even think about it, just change the oil :rotflmao

Adding the use of Synthetic oil and high efficency filters, oil changes can last indefinately, in alot of cases! But why think about it :rolleyes:

Just change ur oil it is cheap insurance cookoo

It cost more to use cheap oil and filters but who is paying attention:dunno

and dont ever blow your money on oil analysis either:puke:

Javier

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
i got royal purple in my 94. been in there for almost 6000 miles so far. have no lost one drip out of the motor, and only burned 1 qt. i am about ready to take a sample to send in, see how it is doing in there.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure where your located, here in the Okanagan in the summer it hits 40 C ok so that is quite warm...then in winter it's known to hit -25 C kinda cold. With those parameters in mind and knowing that it's quite dusty, lots of hills and such I'll run synthetic once the engine/s are sealed! Same with transmissions and diffs.

Years ago when I had a 390FE in an old truck, engine was quite well built, I did have cold start problems...like a dragging starter. I took two bottles of 15/40 diesel oil, DINO and AMSOIL stuck them in my deep freeze for 48 hours. When I removed them and attempted to pour them out side by side into a drain pan, the Amsoil poured albeit slow but poured, the dino, I had to massage the bottle to get it to come out like thin grease...blob blob it proved to me instantly the value of synthetic.

I changed the trucks oil, and from then on never once had a dragging starter issue under cold starts!

Don't beleive it....do this test yourself!