WHY NO SYNTHETICS IN DIESELS

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got royal purple in my 94. been in there for almost 6000 miles so far. have no lost one drip out of the motor, and only burned 1 qt. i am about ready to take a sample to send in, see how it is doing in there.

Good choice! what oil filter are you using?

Javier

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
i got royal purple in my 94. been in there for almost 6000 miles so far. have no lost one drip out of the motor, and only burned 1 qt. i am about ready to take a sample to send in, see how it is doing in there.

It hasn't dripped a single drop?? Really?? Wow.. I'm totally impressed. But, well, uh how does it find its parking space?

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
I have divots for the back tires in my stone driveway. Stops when it hits the divits. Lol

I will try what u said mr abuse in the other thread about the filters

I was happy when I put the first 2000 miles on it and was still leak free.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my truck daily and the temp gets down low here . Most of the time way below zero IE=20 above to -30 below so it sounds like I will go with synth and good filters unless I leak like a sieve. It sounds like That would be my best option. A trip to town as I do at least 3 times a week is 20 miles so my " short " hops are 20 miles or so. 35 to 50 at least once a week and once a month about 120 miles one way. I appreciate the help in a BIG way
Sandrow

redmondjp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For your driving pattern and cold temps, the synthetic does sound like the way to go. You'll notice the difference in how fast the engine cranks when cold, that's for sure! You still may want to use a block heater when it gets really cold though.

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I burned up two starters in one year because of that.What really got to me was the engine running dry like that for 10 min or so.... I could almost hear the grinding on cylinder walls. Hopefully this truck I an getting, the 94 turbo will have a block heater in it.!!!!!!!! I forgot to ask em about it. damn damn damn!!!

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm.

Whats the best brand of synthetic to buy what was tha stuff " something purple"

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
checking into that recomended site bob ect. the best oil out there is redline 5-40 or 15-40.
so its between redline and royal purple. The redline had 18,000 and perfect scores just as good as 1 mile...... I'm impressed.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No synthetics in diesels? VW requires it to keep your warranty. If you were to go to Europe, you would find most every diesel car running on synthetic, and there are oodles of other synthetic options over there due to the extreme fuel mileage requirements over there. Now it's not always best to convert an old worn out engine due to consumption issues, but you certainly can't go wrong switching out rear ends and trannys for a quick drop in friction and increase in fuel mileage ;Sweet

It's nice being able to leave your oil in for insanely long times with a bypass filter and not having to worry about things that would have you in the damage zone with dino oil ;Sweet

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is the document

undefined Redline Oil 15-40 Modded 7.3 18,500 miles
Smokefan1977 Offline

Loc: Gilbert, AZ
This UOA is from my 2000 7.3. The truck is used often as a daily driver but does see some track and dyno time. Filter are Donadlson ELF7405 and an FS2500 Bypass. UOA showed just over 1% fuel. Keep in mind I dump A LOT of fuel

Complete built engines by me
Tuned by me
B code Injectors
Twin HPOP
*** heads with Hensley Springs
Gt38 feeding a GT45 Turbo

Alum- 2
Chromium- 1
Iron- 11
Copper- 1
Lead- 6
Tin- 0
Molybdenum- 5
Nickle- 1
Mag- 0
Silver- 2
Titanium- 0
Potassium- 3
Boron- 60
Silcon- 8
sodium- 11
Calcium- 2940
Phosphorus- 1209
Zinc- 1498
Barium- 0

cst Viscosity @ 40 C 112
cst viscosity @ 100 c 15.45
Visc Index - 146
Fuel % 1.3
Antifreeze % 0.0
Water % 0.0
Soot % 0.4

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No synthetics in diesels? VW requires it to keep your warranty. If you were to go to Europe, you would find most every diesel car running on synthetic, and there are oodles of other synthetic options over there due to the extreme fuel mileage requirements over there. Now it's not always best to convert an old worn out engine due to consumption issues, but you certainly can't go wrong switching out rear ends and trannys for a quick drop in friction and increase in fuel mileage ;Sweet

It's nice being able to leave your oil in for insanely long times with a bypass filter and not having to worry about things that would have you in the damage zone with dino oil ;Sweet
===========================================================
I have 230;000 on mine... I hope I can run synth in it without leaks (unless its an easy fix) Whomever had it maintained it fairly well. It was a formans work truck with a perfectly straight body and an immaculate interior

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what do you guys recommend?What would you do? I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to these trucks, but you folks are experts. Also I am in an area that doesn't even carry syth for diesels!!!:dunno:dunno

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
===========================================================
I have 230;000 on mine... I hope I can run synth in it without leaks (unless its an easy fix) Whomever had it maintained it fairly well. It was a formans work truck with a perfectly straight body and an immaculate interior

I've been using and selling Amsoil for over 30 yearsand I wouldn't even consider installing it in an engine with that kind of mileage without runniing a couple of ful treatments of Auto Rx through the thing first to clean out the rings and seals to get it ready for use with a synthetic. High end synthetics have heavy detergent packages to compensate for the fact that they will be in use for a very long time. During this time , they do some SERIOUS cleaning and if you don't go in and get the seals taken care of first you will dump a lot of oil on the ground before the action in the oil will condition the seals back to where they hold a seal again. the auto RX will take care of that before hand, if it is at all obtainable without mechanical replacement, if that doesn't do it, then they are so far gone that you need to get in there and replace a few seals before considering spending money on high end oil. It will not be money wasted, it will do wonders for cleaning out your rings and will make cold starting easier and glow plug life longer. I have seen teh auto RX raise compression from around 130psi to over 400 on a couple of cylinders .