WHY NO SYNTHETICS IN DIESELS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I would relate a few things I saw after changing to synthetics. This isn't engine oil, but still applies. I worked for a fire dept. for over 36 years and we did quite a bit of our own maintenance on stuff.
Our big air compressor was in the unheated hose tower and it would always trip the breaker when it tried to start up in the winter. Changed it out to Amsoil synthetic compressor oil and never had an issue with it again.
Same thing with our storm sirens. We had the old style rotating units that had a roots style blower on them. We would end up with tripped breakers all the time when we tested them in the cold. Switched all lubricants over to Amsoil synthetics and never had another problem. Can't say enough about Synthetics.

Jeff

sandrow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so it treats your truck well? They even claim a jump in hp and economy.Any truth to that?

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What has worked for my truck, climate, and budget is using Castrol Tection Extra 15-40 during the warmer half of the year, and Rotella T6 10-30 semi-synthetic for the colder half. It gets pretty cold where I am and it does start better with the semi-syn. I also get the Castrol Tection on sale at AZ seems like every time. I only have to change it 2X a year as I don't put a ton of miles on mine. I'm kind of afraid to switch to a full synthetic, my engine doesn't leak and I'd like to keep it that way.

bird hunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also put Amsoil ATF in the ZF and Mobil 1 in the Sterling and seemed to have gained a half mpg and some smoother shifts when cold.