Why does my truck take so long to fill at the pump?

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
guess I
have to vent tank,harpoon it now! tanks only have the small roll over vent now.

No need to put another hole in the tank, just remove that factory roll-over valve and use it for a vent, putting a large fitting and hose onto it. It is tight up there, so you need a elbow that fits right into the grommet.

The other poster and where he punched a hole beside the large fill nipple in the tank is the way GM does it. And then they run this 1/2 hose up to a fitting on the filler pipe, just like some others are doing. They key to this is install the 1/2" vent pipe into the filler near the top, so when you insert the station nozzle, the tip of the nozzle where the fuel comes out is PAST the vent pipe fitting. This will keep the turbulence from the vent away from the fuel going in.

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to try tank vent first, have plenty of room due to flat bed almost 6", filler necks are just stubs with enough room to get hose on only.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can replace the vent and grommet with a fuel cell bulkhead and a dot legal check valve that will vent awesome. Maybe need to put together a kit and put it on the store...

I sort of skipped over that previous post with this idea, and I looked at it again, the picture below does look like a nice large sized fitting for a decent sized vent. And if it's legal I guess that makes it even better.

If you could come up with a method for the other end, I guess the way I did would work well enough with just the hose looped up. I will warn you when you run the vent hose it needs to be level or with a rise as it's leaving the tank. My front hose fell down a little bit once, and it got a belly in it. I started having fill problems again, till I noticed it had fallen down, and when I straightened it out fuel poured out of the line. It had gotten a low spot in the hose and it had filled with fuel, blocking the venting action.

Not everyone has the capability to make a port for their fill tube. Like I said GM does use a system like this on my Tahoe and probably others, don't know if the fill tube from a GM truck could be retro fitted to the Ford to gain the nipple connection coming out of the filler.

ea20034d-b516-4085-8eb3-ae2392137f5c-jpeg.124317

rwk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
filler neck supply has some stuff, but couldn't find a big vent, got an adapter to go from the oddball ford tank fill to 2" fill neck and have large fill neck, no restrictions or doors, but it still needs a big vent

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That fitting plus the elbow is going to be tight on the rear tank. It may rub the bottom of the bed.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is installed in a 38 gallon tank, it will work for all tanks ford truck tanks 81-97 f350-bronco, possibly more as well, I haven’t found a ford tank that it hasn’t fit yet.

Franklin, it is a tight fit and it required a special low profile elbow to be used, but it leaves a good 1/4” clearance when install per the instructions. Apart of the kit will be some rubber strips to put on the top of the tank to insulate it from vibration and to space it down a little to get some more clearance for the vent.

onetonjohn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I"m about 2 weeks out from looking at fuel tanks. I'll need to get more details about what to do on the other end, but I need a solution too.