Why do you love your IDI?

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
All of the above! I think these old IDIs represent great value. The engine was well designed and can burn just about any kind of fuel oil. Roller lifters! I could only dream of putting them is my engines when I was younger. I have all kinds of respect for these IDIs. It is incredible how much abuse these engines can take before they finally crater. The electrics leave much to be desired tho. Good thing the engine doesn't need much for electrics. :) All in all, I would rate these trucks at about 8 or 9 out of 10. When I go to the scrap yard, most vehicles I see there are newer!

Kevin 007, "I'd rather fix old iron then replace new plastic....." is so good its going in my sig.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some days, I honestly don't know why I love this truck. Then I talk to a buddy with a 6.0 that's eaten two head gaskets, a main bearing, and four injectors...then I remember why, because I'm a tightwad! It won't win a drag race, pull 15K at the speed of light, or ride like a lexus, but it gets me and whatever I want to bring along from A to B at the lowest cost per mile available. And the glass packs sound amazing.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drive my 86 with pride, even with all of the dents and rust. She started out as a fleet truck, and was then the workhorse of two farms that I know of, one being with my brother (which explains the lack of repair and extreme denting). And before my brother bought his 94 Dodge my 86 pulled the goosenecks loaded well above where it was safe or legal. Now I am told by the brother that only his Dodge can haul the heavy loads which amuses me since he no longer hauls with the Dog. I may take a little while to get where I want to be, but I get there with no problems.

I don't blow smoke out when I haul heavy, even while drinking recycled fluids, and get great mileage with all the power I have. I think I had a personal best of 22mpg once, but average 20 mpg loaded or unloaded. Tell me how many computer controlled plastic trucks and SUVs that can brag about that. To repair, I can usually go to a good hardware store or average auto parts store and find something in stock that works. How about that?

And some new body panels and sheets of tin later and I can have a pretty nice looking truck, without spending a fortune. Oh yeah, to echo a common theme here, I don't make payments.

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot to mention, if I need to do some work to the engine, I don't have to pull the cab off to get to the heads.

BrotherNick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even though mine does not run i love it and will not let it go for a new ford. I have put my blood sweat and tears into the truck and its a tank. I honestly love the OBS with the ECLB.

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i love my idi for one reason and one reason only......

It has given me an addiction....DIESEL!!!!

other than that, i don't like the idi honestly and will never buy one again.

Last edited:

theguruat12

Certified Tinkerer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I HATE engine computers with a passion, but I love me a Diesel. My dad had an 02 Cummins High Output for a few years and that got us onto Diesels. Sold that, then a year later found this on Craigslist, went out and found it in great shape, for a price that he had to take. He had it for two years, and it was my Christmas present for helping him remodel a house. Mechanical, Diesel, great mileage, no payments, and it was just all-around the coolest truck at my high school. Hope that stays the same at college!

dizdak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i love my truck itself, not so much the engine, ( i know that won't be a liked comment), but simply when i bought my truck, i wanted a 4dr, long bed, single rear wheel, 4x4, and it had to have a 5spd & diesel , and 92-97 body style, i found all that in my truck, i was diesel illiterate as to anything about the IDI.. i am now learning as i go with it, i don't hate the engine, but don't love it... and will admit soon as i muster up all the parts, a cummins will be going in the IDI's place, and my engine will be in the for sale section..

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
K ompletely I s S tupid S imple theory for me whole truck like that! just like old school carb n point distributor gassers, no electronics no nothing..

Only thing make it better....TUBE radio! Those that know, know!

Al

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
i love my truck itself, not so much the engine, ( i know that won't be a liked comment), but simply when i bought my truck, i wanted a 4dr, long bed, single rear wheel, 4x4, and it had to have a 5spd & diesel , and 92-97 body style, i found all that in my truck, i was diesel illiterate as to anything about the IDI.. i am now learning as i go with it, i don't hate the engine, but don't love it... and will admit soon as i muster up all the parts, a cummins will be going in the IDI's place, and my engine will be in the for sale section..

My thoughts to a tee!

the look of a clean obs truck, especially a CCLB 4x4, just does somethin' special to my internal feelings.....uhhhhhhhh, uhhhhhh!!!

Maybe that is what i should do....get a stupid clean CCLB 4x4 and then put a built 6.0l in it......i'm a genius!!!!:rotflmao

(that should toss the fit in the shan LOL)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my reason is simple. It's the locomotive of pickup trucks. Show me another 30 year old diesel pickup that still runs as good as the day it was new (and I know... because I was there, and it WAS new). Heck, there aren't that many 30 year old locomotives still running around either.