Why are oxides of nitrous bad?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've been trying to find out what problems they cause, but all that I have found in google searches is that they are bad... ??? cookoo no description of what they cause -cuss

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Its oxcides of nitrogen. Not nitrous. Thats a differant thing all together. Nitros oxcide N2 is not flammable. What makes it work in a motor is it has an extra O2 molecule to promote the burn. ;Sweet

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I was thinking of oxides of nitrous that are checked for in SMOG checks and are seen more in diesels than Gasoline engines...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
icanfixall said:
Its oxcides of nitrogen. Not nitrous. Thats a differant thing all together. Nitros oxcide N2 is not flammable. What makes it work in a motor is it has an extra O2 molecule to promote the burn. ;Sweet
I beleive Napa is referring to NOX, not N2O.

Meta6981

Reaction score
Yeah it comes out the taipipe and bonds with some other air molecule and creates ozone which helps create visable smog. I just read about it again in a book i have laying aroudn the house maybe i will double check and report back after i am done with work.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmm, crap, I'm trying to put a good argument for diesels are less poluting :Sly the 1987 Mercedes I am looking at is supposed to drop 10% less green house gasses than the gasoline powered car... :love: :love: :love:

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
Diesels are less poluting than gass engines. Diesels do not have hydrocarbon emissions and that is a great step to clean. A properly tuned modern diesel does have very clean exhaust. Unfortunatly most power mods in the IDI, Poerstroke, all diesels raises NOx and causes polution.
Ken

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online