Who all can mod a ATS/Factory Ford turbo... cheaply?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just wondered because it rotates the other way.

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yep, macrobb made a comment that he surmised that the bearings on a PS were possibly larger and since I happen to have some pieces and pictures laying around I figured I'd post it up for the interwebs to archive for all time.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know I was looking at that at first, considering I found new OBS wheels for under $20 I've been playing around with.
But, yeah, I saw that they were opposite rotation... but that was exactly what got be thinking that there should be some sort of cheap off-the-shelf wheel out there for something else(cummins?).

I mean... it seems like everyone wants to go with the latest and greatest billet fancy wheels and such... but by now, there should be some sort of 'good enough' cheap solution.

Anyway, I probably should contact you and figure something out...

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
but that was exactly what got be thinking that there should be some sort of cheap off-the-shelf wheel out there for something else(cummins?).

I mean... it seems like everyone wants to go with the latest and greatest billet fancy wheels and such... but by now, there should be some sort of 'good enough' cheap solution.

The compressor wheel on that 093 was pretty well worn out when I started that rebuild so I was looking for a similar idea. I called several rebuilders and suppliers and only found OEM and aftermarket stock wheels that fit the 093 backing plate and compressor housing. Everything else has to have something machined.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, yeah, I saw that they were opposite rotation... but that was exactly what got be thinking that there should be some sort of cheap off-the-shelf wheel out there for something else(cummins?).

Anyway, I probably should contact you and figure something out...

How could it turn the opposite direction than stock? The housings are made to turn one way, as seen by the air/exhaust flow.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everybody wants cheap, consider this, the average turbo will last 10+ years with normal oil change maintenance. I have over 100k miles on mine, What is that cost per mile? I paid 1200 for my turbo kit so it has cost me .012 cents per mile.

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
What size is the actual stock wheel to begin with? something like 54mm ind-78mm exd? I have always been under the assumption that if a 12 point nut is used the entire frame is built using component balanced parts, where-as a 6 point nut indicated it was spun up and balnced as a whole...Holsets are an example of pre balanced components, and the reason they are so easily modified by just buying new backing plates-compressor wheels-covers...

turbonator

gm diesel guys, AKA turbonator
Reaction score
Same thing with all the other turbos we have built and tried, have never balanced anything, although we have never had a cover cut larger, or clipped turbine wheels.... but i have built over 30 holsets and never had one explode due to balance issues...

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head the IDI cold wheel sizes are roughly:

Stock 093/idit cast wheel 57/70mm
60-1 wheel 60/76mm
RnD stage one drop in S257 57/76mm
GTX3582 wheel 61/82mm
T04Z wheel 62/90mm

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everybody wants cheap, consider this, the average turbo will last 10+ years with normal oil change maintenance. I have over 100k miles on mine, What is that cost per mile? I paid 1200 for my turbo kit so it has cost me .012 cents per mile.
True, but it's also:
1. Investing a large amount of money in a truck that's worth almost zero... for modest gains.
2. How much is it to do a full turbo rebuild(and upgrade the wheel) vs upgrading to an entirely new turbo(S257, S360 etc).

That being said... I can totally see paying for the machining needed to shove a 60-1 wheel in there... but spending for a full rebuild? When it works fine anyway, and (imho) doesn't have enough play to worry about?

----
Back on the topic of 'cheap stuff', here's a couple things I found:
"60-1 wheel" - $40: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Brand-new-...sh=item1a3b281815:g:wXAAAOSwo0JWJq6j&LH_BIN=1

Here's something interesting - a replacement housing and wheel for $155. I DON'T THINK it would fit our turbo(not exactly sure what our ATS garret turbo actually /is/, but perhaps something similar exists: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRITDT-Tur...ng-w-Wheel-7-7-Fits-Garrett-60-1/253082398366

Relatedly, I saw this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TRITDT-Tur...t-Wheel-Kit-TE06H-TD07-TD07S-24V/253527116782
This sure looks like it would fit a Banks Wastegated setup with the TE06H, doesn't it?

See, honestly, all I need to get is the housing figured out. The backing plate is something easy enough to do on a manual lathe; I can do that myself easily.
The housing on the other hand... it's a little harder. Especially if I don't have a detailed drawing of the profile of the wheel going in it.
If I had a detailed drawing... I might be able to machine a profile tool and use that to machine it... Or perhaps get some time at work and just stitch it on a CNC mill.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and order that Mitsubishi stuff and let me know when it fits or not oh, I've tried it all nothing fits the banks turbos I'm having the wheels specially made just like Banks did and or machining for something common.