Whitehorse Update

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Well,This one is a strange fix.I went out today again and all we did this time was remove the electric pump and chunk it in the back of the dually.Cranked while I held the shrader open and it finally fired off.Ran pretty dang good.Has a skip at higher RPM and does smoke like a freight train.I am guessing it just needs to be run and some Freds Hair Tonic run though it.At idle there is a smooth flow of exhaust,no skips,not woofs,not funky noise.Still got some air intrusion problems.I think a couple caps didn't seat right and gonna give them a good shove tomorrow.They look pretty high up.I might not have gotten them on all the way teh first time.Oh well,We were working on a Ford IDI on a cold,windy Rainy day under a tarp tied to an open hood and and a Cherokee backed up to the truck.Talk about dedication to the force....YUCK!Not a fun work shop!But I think I CSIed the trucks past.I think the PO had no clue what he had or how it worked.One day it stopped starting correctly due to bad glow plug.Maybe took it to a podunked clueless shop where they replaced the return lines but not the caps or O rings(caps were original grey painted,lines were shiny black rubber with screw type hose clamps).When that didn't fix it he got it to a car lot and traded it.There they stuck that crappy 30GPM pump on there and the thing was sucking more air than fuel along with the bad return line.Oh,Whitehorse(Tim) has a old style water separator if anyone needs one.He took that thing off today also.It is laying in the bed of his truck with the drain hose and bracket.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
ok,he just called me and wanted me to ask you guys about another problem.Seems his C6 thinks it is a E4OD and doing some goofy stuff.One,it was really low on fluid today but he filled it up with fresh Merc III.Well,now it doesn't shift till the RPMs are way high.No matter if you let off the throttle or have it to the floor it shifts about the same RPM(not sure what since the Tach is screwy right now....gonna check the face tomorrow for metal).It also doesn't down shift when he hammers down on it.My thinking is the Vacumn hicky might be off like the electric hicky on a E4OD truck.But though i would run this past you guys.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Freight_Train said:
It also doesn't down shift when he hammers down on it.My thinking is the Vacumn hicky might be off like the electric hicky on a E4OD truck.But though i would run this past you guys.
two things. both may be related to when you were messing around under the hood today(or yesterday). you will need a vac gauge to check for how the modulator switch is set at. second, make sure the kickdown rod is not binding up on anything. the distance that it is traveling is pretty far, so have soneone sit inside the cab and step on the throttle to see that it is working "full range". I am away from my reference material right now, so I can't post specs. hopefully someone else can do so.

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hmmmm.I just thought of something.....maybe the Vac pump is going south or there is a leak......I commented about the RABs light being on.This truck has been neglected of BOOB care.Several small things that added up.Nothing so far seems major.Just small agravating things like the fuel system.Dang lucky Timmy.Stole this thing and I feel he got a real diamond in the rough.Great straight body(small fender damage on one side but easy to ignore.No Rust other than where the tool box was once mounted.100% factory everything other than a prehistoric electronic trailer brake(even still has FORD exhaust from 1987!Is it me or did someone really screw the pooch with that Y pipe!).But we will check some things tomorrow.Wish I had a Vaccumn gauge.I know there was a cut vac line on the drivers side fire wall that has a bolt stuck in it.Not sure where that was for.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Usually the vacuum manifold on the firewall just above the passenger rear head will get damaged if any big hands are back there trying to reach the injector line or glow plug. Heat kills the plastic manifold. Gee... Ford no longer sells it..... Go figure. Well, I went to our local Pick-A-Fart and found most late 80's Mercury's and Lincoln's have the same part. And gee wizz... They fit right in your pockets... :rotflmao ;Sweet :angel:

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok guys. I'm loving it and hating it at the same time. I put new glow plugs in it yeasterday and still the light stays on about 5 to 6 seconds and don't start it! What gives? Is the relay shot?

About the tranny question if I stay at 45 miles an hour the thing stays in second and will not shift until it gets above 50. The vacuum thingy on the pump do you loosen the screws and move it forward or back to get the tranny to shift right? Tim

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make sure the kickdown rod is returning all the way, the throttle cable and the air cleaner can foul its movement, just climb under when idling and pull the line on modulator and check for vac with finger is fine, you can remove the kickdown rod to eliminate that for testing. A c6 is the ONLY trans that you can do this on, all it does is kickdown, it doesnt control line pressure like others, oops having a college shop flashback cookoo . Did the truck shift ok before? Let us know, I do about 10 c6's a month at work so I know a little about them. :Sly

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
I've seen this with a 87 stake/dump body F350. Tried vacuum modulator, adjusting the vacuum thing at the injector pump, replaced the injector pump vacuum dohicky (sorry, con't think of the name). Nothing worked. Truck was bought like this. We flushed the fluid but it didn't help. We came to believe something was sticking internally. My boss took it home and uses it on his farm. Don't think he ever got it fixed.
John

Freight_Train

Reaction score
Don't say that!Tim bought this truck not running(well,they got it Running for like 30 seconds I think) so not sure if we screwed something up or what.I will say this,so far it has been simple things.Return lines,That dang electric fuel pump,the shrader valve was leaking.Maybe we can keep up the trend.I can also say this,this truck was NOT owned by a BOOB.Don't think any BOOB would allow the shotty this truck has had.The return lines were replaced(The lines,not cap or O rings),the electric pump was wired to the FSS wire(literally,the they cut some insulation off and twisted the fuel pump wire on.No tape),there is like 4 butt connectors in a 12" peice of wire for the trailer brakes.Someone really didn't know what they were doing.But all will be good once me and Tim get done!

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well this tranny thing has me confused! Before I put a new filter and fuild and pan gasket, it would start down shifting like it was a allison or something when you let off the go pedal. Now its a little better but now it slips every once in a while and still will not kick down. I have found that a zip tie is around the trottle linkage and the other stuff because of a broke braket. I guess thats tomorrow's project. I think I have fugured out the glow plug deal also, when I turn the switch to warm them up, I only get one faint click so I'm thinking glow plug relay?! What yall think? Sorry I'll get pics soon, maybe tomorrow! Tim

Freight_Train

Reaction score
hmmmm,when you get home tomorrow we will check the kick down cable.Was the fluid really bad?Slipping is a bad thing but kinda hard to tell with a C6 since it has a non-lockup Torque converter.