white smoke while accelerating

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, Took my truck out for the first spin today, Ran pretty good exept when accelerating I get plooms of white smoke? Could this be I/P Timing or somthing else, Thanks -Brad-

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
White smoke if caused by timing or air leaks. If she fires up easy in the morning or after a good long spell then I would suspect timing - retarded.

zigg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by "first spin". Is it rebuilt, new injection pump/injectors, what?

Essentially this is true. It is usually timing related.

But, there can be other reasons for white smoke.

The timing can be very substantially affected by fuel pressure. If your lift pump is bad, or youve got fuel leaks, then the injection pump pressure can be affected, and it will act like timing issues.

A "cold" engine can smoke white. This is the reason for the "after glow" portion of the glow plug controller, or the on/off sequencing of the '87 and later years controller. To help alleviate cold startup smoking.

Bad injectors, etc...

Zigg :)

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is this with 3 year old fuel? Maybe a good heavy hit with fuel treat and after the old fuel is gone, then see what happens.

Did it do this when you parked it and have you messed with the IP since

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, so I noticed somthing else today, If you hold the throttle in my truck about half way it has a slight miss and that is when the smoke comes, the smoke is pure whitel, Is this unburned fuel, maybe an injector problem rather than timing, It sure starts up nice, even when its cold, but what do you guys think? Thanks -Brad-

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be injector. Could be pump. I'd throw a rebuilt tested set of injectors at it and see if that solves it. If not, it's probably pump time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726