White/Blue Smoke with oily fuel in exhaust pipe

RoadKing83

Reaction score
I have a 1992 7.3 idi NA with 222,000 on the clock. Its smoking real bad white/blue, warm or cold same smoke. It starts good warm or cold with no loss of coolant.

The oil is high in it and seems a little thin to me which makes me thing in might have fuel contamination but its not smelling like it.

The oil in the tail pipe is thin which again makes me thing its oily fuel. I got enough to soak a rag with it and it burn fast lol which makes me think fuel again. When revved up it will spray out of the pipe with increase of exhaust pressure.

The injectors and glow plugs have been replaced so i cracked the lines while running and each injector made the same significant change in the engine. Im no expert but that tells me the injectors are probably not the problem.

There seems to be no blow by as when i take the oil filler cap off all there is only small amount of venting and no pressure build when covered.

Im trying to decided weather or not to pull and rebuild the engine but i would really like to not have to. I do plan on doing a leak down and compression test ASAP.

Any other thoughts would be great. Thanks

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Either the lift pump is bad, or the shaft seals went bad in the injection pump.

RoadKing83

Reaction score
Can you explain to me how fuel would get to the exhaust side if the IP pump was bad? I agree with the fuel lift pump thank you

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Not quite an answer, but what ever liquid that comes out of the tailpipe, for whatever reason will be black from the soot in the exhaust. The color doesn't necessarily mean that it's oily.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
In continuation, I've blown black crap out of my exhaust after three days of rain before. This poor sprinkler will never be the same again.:)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

RoadKing83

Reaction score
Yes I agree with that. The crank oil is thin but compared to the exhaust fuel it’s a lot thicker.

if it was oily diesel plus the injector fuel would that push the excess unburnt fuel out the exhaust valve?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
if it was oily diesel plus the injector fuel would that push the excess unburnt fuel out the exhaust valve?
I'm no expert on this part, but I'd say maybe. Possibly, if the injectors aren't giving a good spray pattern, the fuel isn't being properly atomized. Maybe some excess, unburned fuel is coming out of the exhaust this way. Try putting your finger in the liquid at your tailpipe (if it's not hot). Does it smell like diesel?

RoadKing83

Reaction score
Also I cracked the injector lines and found all or them to make the same difference in engine sound. I would think if there was 1 injector not atomizing the fuel there would be a different change when opening that particular fuel line.

thanks for all the input folks. Please keep it up.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I would think if there was 1 injector not atomizing the fuel there would be a different change when opening that particular fuel line.
Yes, but I was thinking about all of them being worn. Do you have any ideas on the miles on your fuel system?

frankenwrench

overkill is under rated!
Reaction score
There is a shaft that runs through the large gear on one side and to the roter in the ip itself. If that seal is worn or bad it is possible to leak fuel into your crank case. Also, I tried the method of loosening each line to see if one of my injectors were bad and had the same results you did. But if one or more is stuck open you will get the same result as that cylinder is still getting fuel, weather proper atomization is there or not. I had two that were ******* once placed on a pop tester. I sprayed black oily crap everywhere every time I started the truck or even after it had been running a bit and gunned it. Grey smoke at idle and black smoke under any load.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Injectors and glow plugs changed 1 month ago
What brand of glow plugs and where did the injectors come from? Only run Motorcraft/Beru glow plugs. All the others will give you trouble. There's only four places that are known for good injectors and injector pumps. Any from other sources may work okay for a while, but won't last long. Then again, often times they are junk from the start.