Whinning in 4WD

Luma

Reaction score
Is it normal for your truck to whine in 4HI? Particularly around 10 - 50 km/hr? I have had this truck in the shop 3 times for a VERY LOUD whine and they have replaced all the bearings in the front diff, Bearings, Gears, and Chain in the transfer case and the LOUD noise is gone but I am left with a whine now at low speeds??? They said it was because the tires were not equal size anymore and that was causing it

Max Power

Reaction score
if the tires size is different front and rear you will definately hear some noise. The noise will likely be more noticable at certain acceleration rates. Mine has a definate wine as you accellerate and almost nothing when you are decelerating. I can make it wine louder by just rolling into the throttle a bit. ANd my tires are brand spanking new (same size front and rear) Hard to explain.

Obviously the more difference in size front to rear the more this will be heard. Basically something has to give when the tire sizes are not equal.

rubberfish

Reaction score
Originally posted by Luma
Is it normal for your truck to whine in 4HI? VERY LOUD whine
Does this occur when you are alone in the truck, or only when the family is in there with you?;) :D

:sorry: couldn't help myself;p

flhrciblueice

"Git 'R Dun!"
Reaction score
Are the diff and xfer case fluids at the proper level? How many miles in 4wd approximately? Front diff may need some time to wear in. If the front and rear tires are different sizes, you would definitely get some noise from the xfer case. May just be the nature of the beast. Please be sure to let us know what you find out.

CHarlan

Reaction score
Our Z-71 whines when in Lo Lock.... Otherwise, I have not noticed it in hi, but I will check it out tomorrow, and let you know.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online