which years are the best to build?

sagebel

Reaction score
Thinking about building a high HP truck to play with. Not a daily driver but street legal. I know I have to go Dodge/Cummins to do this. Which generation Cummins is the easiest to do this with? I hope to buy a used reg. cab 4x4.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
I am glad you asked this.

I am wanting to do the same thing... not to wild... a daily driver for my son, but something with some power...

Extra cab, 4x4 Cummins...

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
96 thru 98 12 valve comes with the 215 hp mighty P-pump. Just about the cheapest to add power to. On mine, I don't have a big bombing budjet, but with around 600-700 invested and great help from many people, I dynoed at 369 hp and 900 tq at over 5000 ft. I'm not building a toy or a race truck, but a good trailer puller. From what I've read, 400hp is the range to be in for optimum pulling.

Dieselmaster

Diesel addict
Reaction score
TPC,

What all have you done for the money spent??.... those are good numbers for the cost...

My BIL has a 97 that was wrecked.. the motor and frame are still good just nothing up front... I wanted it for a while but I think I can find a better deal somewhere else...

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
I spent half on guages and pod.:D
#11 fuel plate: $225 at the time (slid half way forward: FREE)
3K GSK: $125
Advanced timing to 16.5* and gov. lever adjustment: I traded a chord of firewood to a good friend and serious diesel head for the use of his garage, tools, help and supervision.

I swiss cheesed the bottom of the airbox, but I don't think that helped at all.

The clutch did start slipping, and I was convinced it was due to the power, but after getting it apart, the mechanic found the throw out bearing was leaking grease and flinging it everywhere including on the clutch surface.

Piers has plates at $195 now.

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definetly... a '98 12V Quad Cab Shortbed... :Whatever:

(Me jackin' it wishin....)

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
Originally posted by Russ
Definetly... a '98 12V Quad Cab Shortbed... :Whatever:

(Me jackin' it wishin....)

You jack and you shall receive. This is mine. Shortbed, 5 speed and 4x4. Russ I support 'happy ending'
(and no, it's not for sale)

Attachments

• 5-horse.jpg
    5-horse.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 156

russs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And a good looking truck it is...

Green Machine

Reaction score
Get a 96-98 12v.(215 pump) I hit 436.5 X 9??tork with Piers 370 injectors (used $200.00) Custom ground fuel plate (stocker cut to Forrest style 100 = Free) AFC spring kit ($50?) 16cm non wastegated housing ($125) Timing at 16deg (Free at a NWB party) Rip Rooks 5" exhaust. And a South bend FE clutch ($1500) and a used gage kit ($100). It got a little hot when towing but It ran great. It was cheep and Fast (for a 5sp)

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Well the 215 pump would be the best choice but don't discount the 160 or 180 pumps. Mine will set ya back in the seat like no ones business. I can break loose the rear tire (peg legged kicker) anytime I want under about 45mph as long as the clutch holds (SB CON O) which it has not been doing lately.

#10 plate, 3k GSK, AFC kit, Timing and gutted kitty with no muffler.

So yes you can get more out of the bigger pumps but if the money is right don't walk past the older pumps.

rebel_horseman

Rt. Wing Extremist
Reaction score
If it was up to me I'd do like everyone else said. A few years back when I bought my Y2K Cummins, I passed on a '97 3500 4x4 with 88k miles on it. The truck was mint and they were asking $18k for it and I passed it up cause I wanted something newer. Hindsight is 20-20 I guess. Right now there's an identical truck fro sale here for $17k. Don't know condition or anything, but if by some chance I sell the Powerstroke I'm going to do my damned best to buy it if it's still for sale. I wanted to find a 12v but they are few and far between around here. The 12v Cummins trucks ROCK!

[><]

Whit

Reaction score
Originally posted by Dieselmaster
TPC,

My BIL has a 97 that was wrecked.. the motor and frame are still good just nothing up front... I wanted it for a while but I think I can find a better deal somewhere else...

Is this truck still available, may be interested???

Hohn

Reaction score
There was a '98 QC 4x4 5sp LB for sale here in town not too long ago.

They were asking like $14K. I'm STILL kicking myself.

TPC-- did you ever see that green one on the used lot @ Cowboy Dodge? That's the one I'm talking about.