Which Stanadyne Additive?

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I have been talking to Mel and going to be calling them up and ordering soon, but I was just curious if anyone else had any info before I gave them a call just to give me a general idea.

First thing is first, seems like when I search it comes up with two different things.

1. http://stanadyneadditives.com/performance-formula/

Has the 5 different bottle to choose from.

2. http://www.stanadyne.com/view.php?id=45

This site only shows 4 different bottles and the bottles look a little more dated.

Can anyone recommend which is actually the correct ones to go with and is it better to run multiple ones at once, or only one? Seems like one is actually performance forumla, other is specifically for lubricity, etc.

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell you the differences in them, but I have run performance formula sine my moose pump install. I imagine if stanadyne makes it, it should be good for our pumps.

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
what are you trying to gain from the additive?

Conventional wisdom here says that USLD does not provide enough lubricity for our pumps and injectors. So most everyone adds a lube to their diesel. I run B2, because it's available and bio tests out as adding the best lubrication coefficient to diesel. (link: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html) Is it the best overall? (not just lubricity) Dunno. Alot of people use simple ATF, or two stroke oil as well.

Conventional wisdom also says modern fuel is pretty lean on Cetane, which is what makes diesel go boom rather than burn when under pressure. So using an additive that will significantly add more cetane is good too. I personally don't bother, but according to this article: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/ They were able to get minor, but noticeable gains in MPG.

Overall, Mel is your best resource for what you should run through your pump. Especially if you're buying said pump from him.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blue is everything cetane, anti gel, lubricity, detergent and more. also the most expensive not much though
purple is lubricity only
green is anti gel only, we sell more of this than any
red is the blue without cetane and antigel
the brown is an injector cleaner for ocasional use.
at least use the purple to protect the injection pump, if your worried about gel use the blue. The blue may add power and mileage due to the cetane.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Blue is everything cetane, anti gel, lubricity, detergent and more. also the most expensive not much though
purple is lubricity only
green is anti gel only, we sell more of this than any
red is the blue without cetane and antigel
the brown is an injector cleaner for ocasional use.
at least use the purple to protect the injection pump, if your worried about gel use the blue. The blue may add power and mileage due to the cetane.

I was just looking to finally run some in mine. Mine has low miles so I dont really have any problems that im trying to fix, just more of a preventative maintenance thing.

I just saw the 2 different sites and didn't know which would be the best to go with. I guess I will just give Mel's a call today.

Is there any reason someone wouldn't run the blue?

Seems like to me that would be what everyone would want to run since it takes care of multiple things.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have been using Stanadyne performance formula long before this low sulfer and the Moose pump came to life. I continue to this day run about 4 to 6 ozs in every tank full. It makes me fel godd and thats what matters to me. Its doing some good this is do know. Now if your just wanting to run the lubrisity formula thats fine. Of like was posted run a qt of atf or 2 stroke oil in the tanks. Just please run something with a Moose pump or any other pump for that matter. Its helping more than harming things.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cost is the only reason to run purple
purple lubricity, 16oz $7.25 treats 125 gas $0.058 per gallons
blue 160z $8.75 treats 60 gallons or ).146 per gallon

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Im running purple lubricity additive for the bang for the buck, that is also why I drive diesels, and that is also why I drive a Ford idi.

Lubricity formula has proven to be more effective in reducing wear then many other products such as Howes or Power Service on that lube test that pops up here every now and then.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
what are you trying to gain from the additive?

Conventional wisdom here says that USLD does not provide enough lubricity for our pumps and injectors. So most everyone adds a lube to their diesel. I run B2, because it's available and bio tests out as adding the best lubrication coefficient to diesel. (link: http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/76.../177728-lubricity-additive-study-results.html) Is it the best overall? (not just lubricity) Dunno. Alot of people use simple ATF, or two stroke oil as well.

Conventional wisdom also says modern fuel is pretty lean on Cetane, which is what makes diesel go boom rather than burn when under pressure. So using an additive that will significantly add more cetane is good too. I personally don't bother, but according to this article: http://www.dieselpowermag.com/tech/ford/0911dp_fuel_additive_test/ They were able to get minor, but noticeable gains in MPG.

Overall, Mel is your best resource for what you should run through your pump. Especially if you're buying said pump from him.

+1

If you can get biodiesel you should consider using it for a few reasons:
- It cleans your fuel system
- adds lubricity
- can cost less than regular diesel (find a reputable home-brewer / small scale producer)
- it is not an additive

The last one is good if you wish to supplement with additives specifically targeting an issue. Running 2 - 5% bio would effectively clean and lubricate your complete fuel system. I have been running 5% for a couple of years now and I don't use any other additives. I have tinkered with Ford Cetane additive and never noticed a difference (I think the newer engines are more sensitive / responsive to cetane numbers).

I think of using Bio as a multivitamin for the fuel system as opposed to a prescription drug. Prescriptions are good for targeting a specific issue with a (hopefully) measurable result.

Just my two cents; it is not my intention to knock any recommendations to use a particular off-the-shelf product.

Reaction score
I use Performance formula. I've only been using it a few months, but the injection system is noticeably quieter than when I ran PS or Howe's. I bought a case on Amazon since it's not as easily found on the shelves, at least near me.

Mike

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
+1

If you can get biodiesel you should consider using it for a few reasons:
- It cleans your fuel system
- adds lubricity
- can cost less than regular diesel (find a reputable home-brewer / small scale producer)
- it is not an additive

The last one is good if you wish to supplement with additives specifically targeting an issue. Running 2 - 5% bio would effectively clean and lubricate your complete fuel system. I have been running 5% for a couple of years now and I don't use any other additives. I have tinkered with Ford Cetane additive and never noticed a difference (I think the newer engines are more sensitive / responsive to cetane numbers).

I think of using Bio as a multivitamin for the fuel system as opposed to a prescription drug. Prescriptions are good for targeting a specific issue with a (hopefully) measurable result.

Just my two cents; it is not my intention to knock any recommendations to use a particular off-the-shelf product.

You got it!!
Nothing will compare to a quality bio blend in regards to cleaning and lubricity. But come winter time however, the northernly uses will be faced with possible gelling or clouding issues.

wildman7798

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started running the Blue Performance based on everything I read online as well as the choice many of the old dawgs on here. Very pleased with it so far. A case of 12 16oz. easy pour bottles can be had online for about $80. That should last me a year I imagine. The more you buy the better the price - get it by the 5 gal can and the price point per gallon goes way down. I have seen guys selling it off on C/L as well after they sold their truck or cleaning out the shop.

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
I started running the Blue Performance based on everything I read online as well as the choice many of the old dawgs on here. Very pleased with it so far. A case of 12 16oz. easy pour bottles can be had online for about $80. That should last me a year I imagine. The more you buy the better the price - get it by the 5 gal can and the price point per gallon goes way down. I have seen guys selling it off on C/L as well after they sold their truck or cleaning out the shop.

Yeah I am thinking that is the one I am going to go with as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86