which is better???

bubba_89

Reaction score
This is the question I has been going thur my head since early today while at work.. WHICH FUEL IS BETTER REGULAR DIESEL OR OFF ROAD DIESEL? I've "hurd" rumor that the off road is a lil better. Plus in my area off road is 3.27 and regular fuel is 3.55..

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Off road is the same as on road just with the dye added. You don't want to get caught running off road in your on road vehicle. There are severe fines and possible seizure of your vehicle as punishment. It isn't worth the risk.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Around here, both are EXACTLY the same thing other than off road being dyed red. Running off road on any public road system is in violation of the law, so it may be cheaper up front, but getting caught running it will far outwiegh anything saved...

Ataylor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never been dipped, but I know friends that have and the fine is huge. If your run a ranch truck, do it. Otherwise it is a gamble. The friends that got pulled over and checked also had a aux tank in the bed.

Archie

Last edited:

Wyreth

Certifiable Noob
Reaction score
They almost never dip you if you don't have a transfer tank.
But it's more than two of your trucks are worth in fines if you get caught.

The only difference is red diesel doesn't have road taxes on it, and I think is also subsidized. That's why it is cheaper. The red dye is just so they can tell what you are running.
My rig had two full tanks of the stuff when I bought it. Ran #2 once I burned that. It started running a little quieter when I started adding a touch of WMO per tank, but that was it.

Dave Barbieri

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call. ;Sweet ;Sweet

Back in the 80's and 90's Ag diesel had a higher sulfur content than road diesel. This was a big help for older tractors - kept their pumps and injectors lubricated and happy. There were two benefits to using this stuff. Mechanically (fuel systems) and economically, the road tax was removed, since the equipment that burned it was never intended for primary road use. When I was growing up in Texas, Ohio and California, a lot of folks ran it because of this. Fines weren't a big deal and it helped your engine and your wallet. Now, like everyone else has mentioned, there's no chemical difference, only financial. Because the fines are now MUCH larger, this isn't a good plan any more.