Where to plumb coolant filter?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily anyone in particular.
But the ones that are just bypassing the heater core and hooking the hoses together.
Now if you will never use the heater period (including defrost) that's a different story.
But to have to hook/unhook the lines with the changing of seasons seems a little cookoo.

Have you been to south Texas? Last winter it barely froze one day and the rest was summer :cry:
but I don't mind having to reconnect the heater core, just apart of the winter prep really.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you been to south Texas? Last winter it barely froze one day and the rest was summer :cry:

Oh tisk,tisk,boo hoo.You'll get no sympathy from me you lucky SOB.:D
You know how many years some of us suffered with sub zero temps......Nasty.Now I save my pennies and come down your direction,before the nor'easter's come.:)

Lol I was in hell paso for 2 years. Still got cold.

Like this? :D

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Last edited:

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh tisk,tisk,boo hoo.You'll get no sympathy from me you lucky SOB.:D
You know how many years some of us suffered with sub zero temps......Nasty.Now I save my pennies and come down your direction,before the nor'easter's come.:)

I was born in Fort Collins Colorado and that was sarcasm :cheers:

Really though we need people to stop moving here, no vacancy please

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I
Yep I'm on the north side of boerne and I grew up near bergheim on family property, cool to see another local idi owner. Lemme know if you need help or parts, I've got a few parts trucks.[/QUOTE

Thanks! Right now all I can think of is I need a gooseneck hitch for work, probably gonna build one if I can't find and under the bed one cheap. And then some aesthetics stuff I wanna fix. I also am gonna redo my exhaust with a banks downpipe and I'm what diameter funding eventually? If you're ever in the Boerne area again let me know. Got a beer and a cigar with your name on it.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And as to my second question... If I run just regular coolant and the filter with 8 units of SCA... Does that mean when I go to change my filter I'll be adding 8 MORE units of SCA if I use the same filter? Or does it regulate somehow?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, I'm thinking I may have to organize another Texas IDI meet this fall once it's nicer out :cheers: I've got a welding bed that has a goose neck hitch on it but I doubt you need all that, and it will not self regulate but you can buy an SCA tester from napa or they have it on Amazon.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUOTE="Thewespaul, post: 953865, member: 26738"]Thanks man, I'm thinking I may have to organize another Texas IDI meet this fall once it's nicer out :cheers: I've got a welding bed that has a goose neck hitch on it but I doubt you need all that, and it will not self regulate but you can buy an SCA tester from napa or they have it on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Ya I wanna keep the original bed. Just need to get an under bed hitch. And I've seen and used the test strips many times I'm just thinking. So I might as well get just a regular filter with no units of SCA and run an extended life coolant and not have to worry about adding or regulating the SCA content?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dude coolant for these things is confusing lol. So I know ELC does not need SCA added. but does that mean that EVERY elc has the sca protection our trucks need? If I could afford it I would just get the Cat red coolant and forget about it for 300k miles.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just ran Prestone and added the ford sca additive till it was at the correct level and used a regular filter since it was so much cheaper and I went through them pretty quick with my dirty coolant system.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I think that's what I'm gonna do. Finish installing the filter, drain it and possibly do a flush with distilled water, fill it and either add the sca's myself or just throw the charged filter on and when it gets clogged replace it with a regular filter and check it periodically.