Where to plumb coolant filter?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello y'all. So I've searched and couldn't find a straight answer... I've seen mostly just 2 days to plumb a coolant filter into the system but I'm wondering about the pros and cons of each way. The first way is to tap into that port on the side of the water pump and the overflow tank. The second is to T into the heater core lines both input and output. Does one allow more flow than the other? I figured the first way would give better results and the heater core probably doesn't get as much coolant going through. Thanks in advance!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You're bassackwards.
The heater core always has flow.

Not sure of anyone who has installed it between the radiator and coolant reservoir tank. Hardly any flow there. Just from thermal expansion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at my thread right above yours! I just did it yesterday! Used the heater lines, they are constant flow

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
best way is to t it inbetween both inlet and outlet hoses of the core. the heater is a bypass system. plumbing the filter in this way also makes it a bypass system. once the filter clogs up (and it will) the heater still gets heat. if you put it inline of the core, once it clogs you loose heat into the cab.

Julianq7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine as a bypass filter. There is a really good write on the web on how to do the bypass filter

You must be registered for see images attach

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's mine. Just run the outlet from the head to filter inlet, and filter outlet into your heater core, then heater core outlet back into water pump. Simple. My heater core is disconnected for summer so mine simply flows right back to water pump

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well that's good to know! I'm probably gonna install mine tonight or tomorrow. Just gotta go grab some t fittings. Thank you again, gemtlemen. Cheers!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you in Texas? I also have my heater core disconnected for the summer it definitely helps the ac in the Texas heat.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm in the outskirts of San Antonio. I'm gonna do mine inline so it's easier to know when to change it. Now another question... I'm gonna flush the whole cooling system when I finish installing the filter. I plan on using the filter with 8 units of SCA's and just regular coolant. When I go to change the filter, does that mean that the new filter is going to add 8 more units of SCA? Or does it regulate itself somehow?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
What do you mean, "you people"?
Not necessarily anyone in particular.
But the ones that are just bypassing the heater core and hooking the hoses together.
Now if you will never use the heater period (including defrost) that's a different story.
But to have to hook/unhook the lines with the changing of seasons seems a little cookoo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online