Where to plumb coolant filter?

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
QUOTE="79jasper, post: 953885, member: 19999"]Fleet charge is tried and true. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Which fleetguard do you use?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran the cat red for a few years, it was free to me I knew a guy who worked there And gave me enough to change my coolant out plus a gallon, I am now using zerex g-05 after changing out my radiator hoses. No reason for the change parts store recommended it and it wasn't cheapest so i figure it can be too bad lol I'm also adding a coolant filter soon been watching these threads for ideas seems easy enough. Looking for the kinda cheaper set up

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What would you say is the easiest setup to go with?

Cavitation Article - Oilburners.net

There are only two very easy solutions imo.

1.Use standard coolant.Low silicate with a "release as needed" type coolant filter.
(I use fleetcharge w/ penray need release filters)
No test strips.No fuss.No mess.Simply change the filter as needed.

2.Use ELC coolant.Research which type is safe for older seals used in IDI engines.
ELC's defend against cavitation differently than coolant w/ SCA's and are not used.

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished the filter install! For now I'm just using the regular prestone coolant with a napa gold filter with the 8 units of sca. Eventually I wouldn't mind going to one of them penrau filters but I'm gonna let a couple "cheapies" clog up with the gunk before I do. Had a bit of a brain fart... I started filling the system back up without the filter on... That made a mess lol.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sidewinded_idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh
Just finished the filter install! For now I'm just using the regular prestone coolant with a napa gold filter with the 8 units of sca. Eventually I wouldn't mind going to one of them penrau filters but I'm gonna let a couple "cheapies" clog up with the gunk before I do. Had a bit of a brain fart... I started filling the system back up without the filter on... That made a mess lol.

Nice job but you installed it backwards. The coolant port from the head is the feed line and the water pump is return. You have the coolant flowing through the filter outlet and coming out the filter inlet returning to the water pump. Just swap the hoses on the filter head and you'll be good

Thatoneguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Uhh

Nice job but you installed it backwards. The coolant port from the head is the feed line and the water pump is return. You have the coolant flowing through the filter outlet and coming out the filter inlet returning to the water pump. Just swap the hoses on the filter head and you'll be good

I could be wrong but I think you are mistaken sir. I didn't even touch the return line to the pump. All I did was out the filter head inline (not bypassed) with the inlet line of the heater core. So I literally cut the line coming from the engine, installed on the filter head port marked as the inlet, then ran new line from the filter head port marked as the outlet to the heater core. Doesn't involve the pump at all. If I am missing something though I would appreciate explanations! I am kind of stupid so Barney style would be appreciated!