Whats the worst you've seen ether do to an IDI?

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1994 standard cab f250 base trim model turbo IDI with a 5 speed and 4.10's today- the catch is, the guy I bought it from bought it not running earlier this year thinking he would flip it, but never got around to doing anything with the truck. The guy he had bought it from claimed that it stopped starting, so they sprayed some ether in it and it backfired - they thought it blew a head gasket. The oil is clean and at level, the coolant is low enough that I couldn't tell if it was contaminated or not- which was weird. The thing I noticed though was that the driver side rearmost glow plug was missing. I didn't think to take a close look to see if the threads looked stripped out of the head - has anyone had a glow plug fire out from an ether backfire? I've never actually seen an IDI have a violent backfire, but I've seen several powerstrokes that blew the intake apart from ether backfires. The tach says the truck only has 130k, and the condition of the truck looks like that mileage is accurate. I can't pick the truck up until saturday, I'm just trying to figure what its gonna take to try to get it running again.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Yep, they sure will. He glow plugged it on top of ethering it and thats a BIG NO NO!
I've seen one at my dads work blow a head in half. Blew one whole cylinder of it off through the hood. VERY VERY DANGEROUS.
A back fire can also, very easily snap the turbocharger turbine shaft in half.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting -
as far as I can tell, the turbo is in good shape - I wiggled the wheel around and it had pretty standard sideplay, no endplay, and spun freely. My guess is that it ran out of fuel and they ran out of patience trying to start it - both tanks are full, but there is no pressure at the bleeder on the filter. I doubt that there is any major damage to the motor... but I'm an optimist with these IDI's... they haven't given me a reason not to be yet.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
I had acquired my first IDI for 500 clams and the PO had tried to start it with ether instead of repairing the return lines after it had set for some time (almost 2 years).
Not sure how much ether he used on it but it was siezed up tighter than a drum.:eek:

Pulled the GP's slobbered ome PB plaster down the tubes and let it set.
Fresh batteries and it broke free.

Comes to find out that it also had water down 2 cylinders as well from a leaky hood seal.
Motor ran great till I decided to change leaky head gaskets and broke off 2 head bolts in the block....:dunno

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the glow plug was indeed blown out by ignition, there should be evidence to that effect. If the threads are gone, you'd need a new head, but I'd also be worried about the piston and connecting rod.

tractorman86

Reaction score
worst i've seen from either is "vapor"locked not sure if that's what you actually call it with either but you get the point.

460429_freak

Crazy about diesels
Reaction score
well check the threads out it may have blow the center of it out.... when you get it snap a eletric pump to the fuel line and get it primed so you won't burn the starter up.... I had one 6.9 when you run it out of fuel... you would add fuel do 6 times of cycle the motor and it would start easy like a gasser (with a manual pump) now my 6.9 with turbo is a witch to start after it runs out of fuel (with electric pump) I will almost run the batteries dead and have to be jump started ... and thats after it primed at the schrader valve...

yeah I seen a few diesel "either locked" make me cry when I hear the wr wr wr clunk clunk clunk then it stops

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the plug is completely gone, and not just broke off ??

Ether used with some sense will not harm anything.

Ether used by idiots could possibly do a lot of damage; but, then again, idiots don't need ether to tear stuff up.

Many many farm-tractors come factory-equipped with push-button ether and I have never known of any negative issues, even considering how cookooabsent of mindcookoo many of the owners are.

As to the out-of-fuel starting situation, every 6.9 I ever had/drove would self-bleed simply by cranking the engine and usually fire in less than thirty seconds, turbo or N/A didn't matter.

I believe many of the starting/bleeding issues are caused by air intrusion into the fuel system.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The plug is definitely gone - the battery we through in there to check the odo had enough juice to crank it over a couple times, and I felt compression coming out of the gp hole. So the motor is not seized, also good. Hopefully I'll have it here soon and get to working on it - BTW, I agree 100% that idiots will screw things up with or without ether - its just more fun to watch if they have it :rotflmao.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
If the glow plug was indeed blown out by ignition, there should be evidence to that effect. If the threads are gone, you'd need a new head, but I'd also be worried about the piston and connecting rod.

not heli-coil:dunno i have done them seccesfully on several spark plugs.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not heli-coil:dunno i have done them seccesfully on several spark plugs.

Reminds me of a funny story from way back in my past, before diesel pickups were around; I was pulling a looonnnnngggggg grade with a big load of cattle, someone fired a .30-'06 under the hood and I immediately get this swish swish swish sound.

I limped the last few miles up the grade with about 1/3-the-power.

I found that it had blown a spark-plug.

The threads in the head were not hurt, so it must have simply loosened itself and vibrated out.

Luckily, I kept the old plugs, under the seat, for just such occassions.LOL

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess my thought on that is I don't have much experience with those in a high compression engine. It would be a real bummer if it blew out and made a nice bullet hole in your hood.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I too have seen gassers broke down with a glow plug that rattled out of the hole - if the missing glow plug is why they couldn't get it running again, It could've just rattled out - or stripped the plug if it stripped anything. Of course, the original owner that had it quit running (who I never got to talk to) might have had that plug out to check compression or something. If it ends up needing a head, I'll be parting out a '94 if anyone needs anything...

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
If it ends up needing a head, I know where you can get a completely assembled NOS Ford Service head. Its only one though, and find out this weekend if you need it or not, because they will likely sell it next week. You could probably get it for $300, and probably get it shipped for that price. Let me know if you're interested, and I'll PM you their contact info.

fsr7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't need the truck - If I can get it running for cheap, I'll pass it on to a friend who needs a hauler to get a yota to moab next year - if it needs major work (a head qualifies), it has plenty of parts I need and was still worth what I paid for it. I appreciate the offer, but I am not interested in the head. Thanks!