What's the difference....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
....between a DT466B, DT466C, or DT466 NGD? I've search the web looking for spec's on the different generations of the DT466 with really no results? What are the bore and stroke differences, differences in the heads, lifters, .... and what have you? The good and bad points of each generation.

Any info would be appreciated.

Heath

Captain Morgan

Pipeline Mechanic
Reaction score
You know, I have not paid much attention to the different models other than DT466 or DT466E. I know that most of the early models parts interchange or I have been really lucky.

What are you contemplating doing with the old warhorse?

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
....between a DT466B, DT466C, or DT466 NGD? I've search the web looking for spec's on the different generations of the DT466 with really no results? What are the bore and stroke differences, differences in the heads, lifters, .... and what have you? The good and bad points of each generation.

Any info would be appreciated.

Heath

There's a thread on Ford Truck Enthusiasts site that neverenufhp is on that discusses the different DT motors, and from what I've read so far the big dog is the NGD that was built from 93-95. It has the P pump and is good to about 1250hp. I think the differences are in the injection pump (some had rotary pumps, and of course the inline style), plus the block and lifter upgrades over the years. But bore and stroke have not changed. I believe the best source for info is with a tractor site like yesterdaystractors.com or agkits.com, because they deal with all sizes of DT engines. I am a big fan of the DT and would love to do a swap with one when my money gets right again.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
You know, I have not paid much attention to the different models other than DT466 or DT466E. I know that most of the early models parts interchange or I have been really lucky.

What are you contemplating doing with the old warhorse?

I love your single axle, how fast can that thing go with a load?:peelout

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a thread on Ford Truck Enthusiasts site that neverenufhp is on that discusses the different DT motors, and from what I've read so far the big dog is the NGD that was built from 93-95. It has the P pump and is good to about 1250hp. I think the differences are in the injection pump (some had rotary pumps, and of course the inline style), plus the block and lifter upgrades over the years. But bore and stroke have not changed. I believe the best source for info is with a tractor site like yesterdaystractors.com or agkits.com, because they deal with all sizes of DT engines. I am a big fan of the DT and would love to do a swap with one when my money gets right again.
they must really take the balls out of the DT466E in the 98-2004 units. I will never describe them other than they get the job done slowly. In towtruck applications, they don't last more tham 170k before needing an inframe.
I guess one of the 2axle mediums I drove was a NGD, it definitely had a P-pump that was turned up. It pulled like a freight train but got miserable mileage. I didn't spend much time in that rig, it was mainly used for heavy mountain recoveries where the 3 axle bigboys couldn't get into.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
they must really take the balls out of the DT466E in the 98-2004 units. I will never describe them other than they get the job done slowly. In towtruck applications, they don't last more tham 170k before needing an inframe.
I guess one of the 2axle mediums I drove was a NGD, it definitely had a P-pump that was turned up. It pulled like a freight train but got miserable mileage. I didn't spend much time in that rig, it was mainly used for heavy mountain recoveries where the 3 axle bigboys couldn't get into.

Yah, the DT466E is castrated from the factory. There is more than enough reserve capacity built into the DT. I don't know why they set them so low, because driving foot to the floor all the time plus the high operating temp only wears things out. I used to roll the rental trucks for work and they were geared wrong, especially with the 545 Allison auto. The overdrive/lockup style auto was much nicer (I think it was a MD3060).
I'm a power junky anyways, and as far as I'm concerned 350hp should be a good starting point with 850 ft/lbs minimum for a motor that big. ;p

As long as the computer can be hacked, I'd like to see what a set of Extrude Honed nozzles, twins and some of the PSD tricks can do to one of these engines. I believe there is a power box available, but doesn't have enough kick.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yah, the DT466E is castrated from the factory. There is more than enough reserve capacity built into the DT. I don't know why they set them so low, because driving foot to the floor all the time plus the high operating temp only wears things out. I used to roll the rental trucks for work and they were geared wrong, especially with the 545 Allison auto. The overdrive/lockup style auto was much nicer (I think it was a MD3060).
I'm a power junky anyways, and as far as I'm concerned 350hp should be a good starting point with 850 ft/lbs minimum for a motor that big. ;p

As long as the computer can be hacked, I'd like to see what a set of Extrude Honed nozzles, twins and some of the PSD tricks can do to one of these engines. I believe there is a power box available, but doesn't have enough kick.
the best I got out of a DT466E was the EMS programing. got it reflashed on the sly but I got caught when the feul bill showed up:eek: Only cost me one butt cheek.

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Ouch. Looks like all that motor did was throw the fuel out the pipe.:urinate
My old KW K100 with a 400 Cummins and an empty van did 10mpg.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well...I know someone who just bought an inline A pump DT466C and a Allison AT545.:angel:

You know............just wondering.:sly

Anyone driving from Florida to the Kentucky area in the near future? Just in case someone needed an engine and tranny transported or something...........theoretically.

Heath

Last edited:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Well...I know someone who just bought an inline A pump DT466C and a Allison AT545.:angel:

You know............just wondering.:sly

Anyone driving from Florida to the Kentucky area in the near future? Just in case someone needed an engine and tranny transported or something...........theoretically.

Heath

What do you want to do with the DT?:dunno

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A very impractical repower once I lean on the DT466 a little bit.;Really

Heath

Last edited:

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good Heath. Your really going to set the bar here... I'd consider a custom oil pan and a dry sump system.