What's the difference....

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I have to see what truck this is going in. I originally wanted to put it in a crew cab. However, the '86 is too nice and rare to cut up and ******. Plus, do I really want the entire family and trailer/camper in a truck with a "toy" motor in it? Not really.

Likely, I'm going to swap the IDI in my black truck into the crew cab and shoehorn the big IH into its engine bay. But, I have a lot to do first. Rebuilding the DT466 first is a good start. Maybe with a set of Hypermax sleeves (with firerings) and pistions, studs on the mains and head, and a little magic on the IP and injectors. Not to mention, a differnt turbo (or turbos).:eek: I'll have to see what can be done about a tranny. I'm sure the Allison can be build to handle the bump in output. But, a manual tranny would be nice..... but hard to find one "rated" for 600-800HP (1200-1600 lb/ft).

I might need to look at a set of 2.5 ton Rockwells to replace the Dana 60 and 10.25 as well.

All in good time.....and money.:D

Heath

Last edited:

ameristar1

The One Blue Thing
Reaction score
Ya know Heath, you could always do a MD pickup based on a F600/700/800, hook a Spicer 7 speed ( or even a double OD 13 speed ) with that big horse DT and Rockwells. A lot less work and double rare if an old crew cab service truck is found.

Besides, there is no such thing as an impractical swap; just an uncontrollable driver with 1000hp to play with!;burnout

One thing though, you don't have to go through the same dramatics in the engine build as with something smaller. The DT can take 1000hp on a STOCK spec bottom end, and be revved reliably to 4500rpms, even more so than a 5.9 Cummins. All the power is boost and fuel. The injectors are good to 600hp stock, so to get what you want is injectors, some twins and pump work. Save your $$$$$.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Deja vuu.
I already replied to the post left on comp dissel:

The 466A, was only a few years of production(75-77), and not one for performance.
The 466B, was used from about 78 to 82. It had the Model100 rotary pump.
The 466C, 83 thru 92, took over with the inline MW pump, but added roller lifters.
The 466P, or NGD(New Generation Diesel) started in model year 93 and could be found as new as 97. They had the P-pump, roller lifters, and a whole new head & intake design. You can also find them as a Detroit Series 40.
The C is a great platform. The Allison AT545 wont handle much past 250hp. In a pickup, it might. There's a place in Phoenix (cant remember their name) that does Allison perf parts. Suncoast also has a tight converter available. Specs on the 466's? Bank on a used one being 210hp, as that's the most popular ratings of the day. They were offered in as low as 160hp in the old ones to 270hp in the C, the NGD only went to 250hp for emissions reasons.

http://www.thedieselstop.com/faq/9497faq/download/2003EngineQuickRefrenceGuide.pdf

Someday I'll have a package for a 466 that will make 350-450hp with little smoke, and controllable EGT. If I sell enuf of those, then I'll move to the doggy 466E. R&D is a killer on the pocketbook.

Hey Towcat, how high was the EMS rating? 285hp?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Towcat, how high was the EMS rating? 285hp?
don't know. it was a backdoor deal at the local IH dealer.
the truck felt like a completely different animal though.;Sweet
for a truck lugging around 23k tare, it acutally felt light on it's feet;Sweet

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never mind.... one month later and still nothing from Mr. R. A. Manley. I'm offically giving up on the ******. He was just trying to get some money from me. Chock it up to another eBay scam attempt. If I'm ever in Myakka City, FL, I may just look him up and punch him in the teeth for my troubles.

Guess I'm still looking for a DT466.

Heath

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Never mind.... one month later and still nothing from Mr. R. A. Manley. I'm offically giving up on the ******. He was just trying to get some money from me. Chock it up to another eBay scam attempt. If I'm ever in Myakka City, FL, I may just look him up and punch him in the teeth for my troubles.

Guess I'm still looking for a DT466.

Heath

Just sick ****** girl on him.LOL

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good idea. I'll suggest she head down to his place for spring break. I have his address and tell her she can stay as long as she wants for free.......and to load that DT and the Allison in the back of her car and bring it back to me.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, if she moved in, he would be more than happy to part with the engine and tranny to get her crazy a$$ outta there.:rotflmao

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good news. I've got another DT466. The plan is for Darrin to pick it up today. I'll meet him in Cinnci, OH tomorrow to pick it up. The DT466 repower is not dead yet.;Sweet

I'll take some photos when I get it.

Heath

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got it home and unloaded. I will need time and money to do the swap. I need to nail down what is needed to have 600-800HP in a daily driver. What set of twins would be best, injectors, pump mods, hypermax sleeves/pistons, studs for the heads and mains and so on.

I also need to find out what manual tranny I can find to bolt to the back of the DT, and what axles will be best to put under the truck as well. I really think the stock T-case, Dana 60, and 10.25 wouldn't live too long being feed that kind of torque.

Heath

Last edited:

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
If I may suggest. Pulloff.com for 466 performance parts, unless you need new stuff. Look out for Fabco axles from a 4X4 med duty, they can have 4.10 gears in em. Rockwells are for sure the better price though(pirate4X4.com's classifieds). There's a few choices on a trans too(remember it's an SAE #2). RT or RTO610, or 6610. RT or RTO613 or 6613. Or, the FS units from med duty rigs. For twinz and 800hp, I'm thinkin an S300 on top and an HT4B below with an external W/gate in front of the S300. It's kind of a good idear to have a small-ish turbo on top to lite up quick, the the W/gate can dump the rest into the big boy. Pump mods are simple. Take it to a good shop, and tell them to get the max cc's out of it without replacing the plunger & barrrellls, which should be close to 3 or 400cc. Then you will need some injectors that are a little bigger than stock. I've heard a 5X.017-5X.021 makes a good burn without too much smoke.

kristhewelder

Reaction score
Hi Heath , I ran into a navistar publication and it confirmed my memory and taught me new stuff.Dt466b circular IP that tended to starve A cylinder or to of fuel when run hard like in a tandem and burn Pistons.C series had inline pumps all mechanical 210hp most popular up.the Cs ran along time and were cheap to inframe, the Dta c series I think were offered by iH aftercooled rated@275hpand the new gen had tbigger bore shorter stroke and unit injectors.this my best recall any mistakes are mine.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online