whats a working E4OD worth?

GRU

fear the chicken legs
Reaction score
the dually i just got that im doing the cummins/NV4500 swap in came with a driving working E4OD tran that i dont need. i have not personally driven the truck as the motor was removed before i took delivery. however this was my best friend's boss' truck and he drove it quite often and said it worked fine. im trying to figure out what to ask for it and to let everyone know its for sale and i can bring it to the rally to save trips to pick it up.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Between $300.00 to $500.00 is my thoughts. Kinda depends on how many miles are on it too. If its got 100,000 plus miles on it then The lower of the price range. Call some wrecking yards or stick around for Towcat to chime in on this.... If anyone knows it will be him...:sly:D

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They go for about 2700 rebuilt with upgrades. Not having first hand knowledge of it's condition though is not very good. I'd guess about a grand. But if you sell it for that much I would not spend the money right away. I know if it were me that had it and sold it I would feel bad for selling it to whoever bought it if it did not function right. You might want to also sell the computer with it.

haligen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen them range from $175 with high miles to $800ish with a semi-fresh rebuild. At least that is what they've been running in SC during recent weeks of Craigslist trolling.

ManicMike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being you don't know the condition first hand or the history, it's more then likely worth "core" price. Which is around $150-$200.

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd lean more towards core value myself. If you place an ad to sell it you should state: Engine blew on truck but trans was working fine up to engine failure. Now I'm doing a cummins conversion and don't need the E40d trans. $*** as-is.

That'll lessen your liability if something goes wrong

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well the case weighs about 45 lbs and scrap aluminum is 65c a pound, soooo?

Just kidding, 200, core "no guarantee" in big loud words.

Black dawg

Reaction score
yards around here get 900 for them, and get rid of them as fast as they get them.

jam0o0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-if i need to buy one:
out of a truck that you didn't see run at time of removal: $300
core:$300
out of a truck you saw run: $500-900
complete rebuild with papers and clean: $2500
rebuild with better parts and papers: $3000

-if i'm trying to sell one, half everything. or be ready to sit on it for a year. i suck at selling used parts.

Ned

Reaction score
How hard is it to swap a C6 to a E40D?

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
-if i need to buy one:
out of a truck that you didn't see run at time of removal: $300
core:$300
out of a truck you saw run: $500-900
complete rebuild with papers and clean: $2500
rebuild with better parts and papers: $3000

-if i'm trying to sell one, half everything. or be ready to sit on it for a year. i suck at selling used parts.

Thats the answer I'd gow with.;Sweet

How hard is it to swap a C6 to a E40D?

Hard isn't the word I would use. Expensive is more accurate. Its mostly a bolt on deal if you have all the parts but between the cost of a transmission controller and trying to be sure your E4OD will be as reliable as the C6 it replaced - it won't be cheap. If you don't care about reliability and just pull all the guts out of a parts truck, well budget for a parts truck.

If you do care about long term reliability, budget for a minimum $2500 to get a decen't updated transmission with known history in there. I have over $2000 in my swap (rebuilt it myself however) but its paid for itself in a couple years due to the amount of miles I run on the highway.

The 3.08s broke even in a couple months though:rotflmao