What tires are decent for mud, snow and towing?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a cheap ass when it comes to tires. Just put 6 new Mastercraft ATA on my 99 PSD, $141 ea. Kind of dark at midnite now or I'd take a pic, don't have a flash camera.

Am I going color blind or has the forum changed?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I have the Kuhmo Road Venture MT mud tires on the rear of my dually 235/85-16 Excellent traction on mud, grass, snow, ice not so much, if truck is empty, but with a gooseneck trailer on, handles great . I didnt expect them to last, but I have well over 125k on them and still going strong I just run whatever good steer tires I can get a good deal on. Since Im not rotating, they dont last long with the twin i beam setup

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw a recomendation for the General AT/2 grabbers. I'm going to go the other way on them. They were fine when they were new, but they wore out quick. I got about 30K out of them and only had them on the rear end, not the front, and after about 20~25K, the traction went down hill a lot. I've still got them mounted sitting in the garage. Probably going to use them for summer tires next year on the front end. I suspect I will be able to get anther 5K or so out of them. Just sitting under the rear end I expected them to last well past 50K, especially since I don't tow much. I've had tires last 75K that way in the past. Pretty disappointed over all.

Conversly, I have Michilan AT2s under the front with 40K on them and couldn't be happier. I've got a tie rod end loose, and had a ball joint go out and that's caused some uneven wear on one of them. As it is, the tread is getting low so the traction isn't going to be as good, but they still have another 10K left in them easy, and would have probably had lots more if they hadn't worn unevenly on one tire (not the tires fault). Having said that, I wouldn't really recommend these tires as being good for mudd. Great for light to medium snow, ice, wet grass, and towing, but just not enough bite for serious off road use. That's why I only have them on the front end. They make good helpers in 4wd, and have great traction on the road in all kinds of conditions, are pretty quite, and last a long time.

Just my 2 bits,
Mark