What radiators fit what yrs & what models?

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Last week my fanbelt ('90 Bessie's in my sig) was squealing, sprayed some belt spray on it. First trip out I down shifted. Threw the belt. Turned out it was idler seized up. Spun fan off & got 3 tubes. Tried to pinch off tubes & solder them shut, (done this before on other rigs).... still got small leak that gets fixed today.... hopefully. LOL

On EDIT: '90 Bessie has '94 IDIT & serpentine belt.

'90 F350 Bessie's radiator fast measure about 33" wide

Anyway last nite in dark I quick measured couple other 6.9 & 7.3 parts rigs & radiators I got.....

'85 F250 6.9 ....fast measure about 31 1/2" wide.
'89 E350 U-Haul
'94 E350 U-Haul
'87 E350 U-Haul
'92 F250 radiator (needs work)
'94 F250 radiator (needs work)

Anyway, my question: What yrs radiators will interchange? & will E350 & F series interchange?
TIA....I need Bessie going again today or tomorrow or soon.

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Purty sure the e won't fit an f series, shy of that I gotz nuthin
Have ya looked in the tech section?

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I believe that all of the taller/narrower radiators will fit any model of IDI powered F series.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
No I haven't had time to look in the Tec Section yet.
I just got in tonite. Had hoped I'd get time to look round etc for last few nights in Tec Section, but....
Hopefully tomorrow I can do some looking, or check & do some measuring on stuff I have in my parts. We'll see.
Been trying & trying to get my 40'x64' shop put up before bad weather, but....

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I believe that all of the taller/narrower radiators will fit any model of IDI powered F series.
The tall radiators only fit the rad supports with the dropped section below/between the frame rails. Not all diesels have that.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Yep that was my mistake. I forgot to add that part. I should have said that all of the tall radiators will fit any year of IDI powered F series with a tall radiator.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Well I got my radiator soldered up, try to get it in & hopefully won't leak. I tested it with 12# regulated air & no leaks. Been running a 7# cap for last few yrs.

Other day I called Mac's Radiator in Bend, Or & talked to them. They wanted approx ~$200 to patch & test mine with no guarantee. IIRC they quoted me like $1250 to recore mine. I was so stunned I forgot to ask what recoring a radiator consisted of.

What do it consist of???

Last time I had a radiator worked on was in about 2010 & I had my '92 IDI radiator rodded & cored for $150. & that was at Mac's Radiator here in Redmond, Or before they closed down.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Basically a recore is where they put your top and bottom tank and side braces onto a new set of tubes or cores. $150 in 2010 sounds like a good price to have one rodded, but sounds pretty dang cheap for a recore.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Basically a recore is where they put your top and bottom tank and side braces onto a new set of tubes or cores. $150 in 2010 sounds like a good price to have one rodded, but sounds pretty dang cheap for a recore.
Thanks for explanation.
Well back when they Rodded & Cored my radiator for $150 they unsoldered top & bottom tank off, tank soaked it, then rodded it out, soldered tanks back on. And even then I was VERY, VERY happy for that price!!! & that was back in 2010.....maybe 2008. I remember I was Ticket Taker on road repaving crew down at Diamond Lake, Or. about then.

Couple times thru the yrs on other radiators I've had tanks off myself, checked & air blown tubes out, soldered tanks back on. I never was able to rod one out myself, didn't have the means to.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A recore is replacing the core with a new one. Reusing the old tanks and straps. At this point you might as well go with a HD core for better cooling.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online